Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 with leveling kit, needs tires

1. Top Of Page | #1

2012 with leveling kit, needs tires

I have a 2012 mega cab. I installed a rough country leveling kit and I need new tires. It is a plow truck so I need a all season that will last and is good in the snow. Also what size is recommended to look decent with the leveling kit yet not break the bank like crazy? I know I'm looking at a grand or more. I want to best for my money not just the most expensive.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Nitto terra grapplers or trail grapplers are my recommendation. If you stay with stock rims you'll clear 35x12.50's with some trimming of the fender wells. Or get 305's or 315's

3. Top Of Page | #3
    I don't want to trim anything and I'll be staying with stock 17s

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

You should be fine with 305's or even 315's

5. Top Of Page | #5
    305/60-17? Stock sidewall?

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Um should be 70 or 75

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    Nitto terra grapplers or trail grapplers are my recommendation. If you stay with stock rims you'll clear 35x12.50's with some trimming of the fender wells. Or get 305's or 315's
    Hold on here. He was on the right track with the all seasons. When you are plowing you want some tire slippage to prevent breaking something. Further, by going to a wider tire, you reduce the PSI to the street. When plowing, the wider tires tend to ski, but then grab like SOB's when you hit pavement. I know it sounds contradictory, but it's not.

I know several guys using Firestone TransForce for plowing. I got tired of replacing U Joints, drive shafts, tie rods and so on. When they stopped using the big tires, the big repair bills went away. I must have done a good job 2 years ago. Last winter, as bad as it was, not one major failure.

The TransForce is a remarkable tire for what it is. Superior traction in snow and mud for a street design. I gotta say they self clean a heck of allot better than those GoodRich's do.

Many years of tires and seeing long term problems arise. Just my .02

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #8
    What size would you recommend? It's also a daily driver. I've always ran stock sizes but I don't want this truck looking weird with tiny tires and the leveling kit.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The biggest TransForce is the stock size. 265/70/17 Load Range E It's a very popular tire.

I bought a pair of Generals this Spring. Since I have RWD, I put them on the front. They seem to be working well so far. I'm due for a rotation so I'll see how they are in winter. Look at them and see if you like the tread. They say their good for 60K. With the miles I'm driving these days, they'll be dry rotted before they are worn out. LOL General is US made and was the best price. To my surprise, less than the transforce which is a well priced tire.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have had a few snow plow trucks over the last 25 years. Go with a stock tire width. You need pressure on the ground to plow properly. I would use a BFG All Terrain. They work great in snow and ice. I found that leveling kits suck if you have a larger snow plow...stiffer front springs worked a lot better. I installed some Tuff Truck springs in my last plow (2008 Ram 3500 6.7CTD) and they worked very well to hold the extra weight of a pretty heavy plow. If you have a lighter plow you may be alright with a leveling kit. The heavy plows still bottom out the stock springs with a level kit so you really need to change the springs. It is a very easy job though. I upgraded the shocks to Bilstien 5100s while I changed the springs and was very happy with the results.

11. Thanks Polaraco, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast