Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built in trailer brake failure.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Built in trailer brake failure.

Hey guys, I've got a buddy of mine coming home from Wyoming in a very bad snow storm and his built in trailer brakes have multiple failure readings. He has a 2012 dodge 3500 6.7l dually.

First error msg says heavy electronic trailer brakes disconnected. Second message shows a trailer with a line through it. 3rd message shows a yellow flashing trailer with a message in it that says CF. He has pulled the fuse and checked it and to posibly reset the brakes. No luck. He had a double blow out and the problem started afterwards. Any ideas to help me get some info to him. He is navigating through the mountains in Montana.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Check for snow pack on the plugs.

Do the brakes seem to be working?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Brakes are not working. He says he stopped at a truck stop and checked the plug. But he is getting the same error messages with it unplugged also.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Then check for snow pack under the bumper on the plug,

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

There's 2 plugs behind the LF wheel behind the fender well, tucked up by the cab corner floor. Check those too. Thay are the rear harness plugs. Well that's where they are on the 3rd gens

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok that sounds like a good start. I know the integrated system has had its problems. Be it chevy/gmc or dodge Idk about ford.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I never heard of dodge having probs. But haven't followed it that much

the brakes may not work if there is a short. I don't know what all thise lights mean either. Did he look in the owners manual?

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yes but the owners manual has minimal information on the system. Doesn't tell what the flashing yellow trailer with the CF means. Or the trailer with a line through it. Not to much helpful ino in it about the system.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The trailer with the line through it probably means the trailer brakes aren't working. I can't think of anything trailer related that CF would define. Can you? Your brain is sharper than mine

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The only thing I can think of is CF stands for connection failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast