Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Smarty Nit Wit Need some help where to start

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    Ahhh timing rattle. If it is what that is, just about all of our trucks have it. It's just matter of how bad. If your just barely hearing it and it goes away really quick then your fine. Mine only does it if I barely lug it. But still does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer223 View Post
    i always ran the most timing i could for the MPG's. might be higher cylinder temps but also lower egt's. i would go from 18-19 without smarty to 20-22 mpg highway with it.
    My stubbornness got the best of me on this one. @Canadiandiesel Shut up Spencer

The truck is doing much better with MPG already! I don't know for sure just yet. This time of year I run 13.5 to 14. I installed the Smarty at the settings Killer suggested initially late last week with some miles on the tank. But the mileage doubled between the gauge notches. This tank I ended up at 14.75 with the warm up times in there.

Killer, I'll go up one more timing notch. Driving it today I realized that is not a timing rattle I was hearing, just the typical Cummins sound. The tune seems to have made the engine maybe 10% louder. It's starting to sound like a real diesel now. LOL A sound I haven't heard for many years on my trucks.

I'll leave everything else alone and go up to 5 on the timing. I'll listen to it again. Higher cylinder temps aren't so bad as long as it's not burning pistons up. But to do that, I would think I would hear it before hand. I would love to see the curves on how they ramp the timing

Looks like the Smarty is the right answer for the early third gens.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

i always ran the most timing i could for the MPG's. might be higher cylinder temps but also lower egt's. i would go from 18-19 without smarty to 20-22 mpg highway with it.

It seems I can't go any higher than 4

Setting 3 is actually more than 4.- - - http://www.madselectronics.com/downl...structions.pdf

I was having trouble understanding what was going on there because I didn't find the instructions you sent right away. I was reading the wrong instructions on line. This is a PoD, which is OK. The simpler the better. So I'm going back to 3 and see what happens. There's not much difference between 3 and 4. Now that I've got some miles on 4, lets see what 3 does. It's been on 4 longer. I still have those +50 injectors to compensate for too.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

that's correct and 2 is more then 3, just remember your reading the TNT software and you have the REVO software. it's all on the paper under one of the cushions.
    so if you want the most timing set it to 2.
    1 factory timing,
    2 most advanced timing
    3 little less then 2,
    4 less then 3.

2 is the default setting for the SW or catcher tune you choose. even choosing sw9. you cna set timing to 2 will be the most timing you can get.

you know you should also have manual high idle in the mornings. turn cruse control on then hit set. it should ramp up the idle. then use increase or decrease to change it idle speed.

4. Top Of Page | #34
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Why are you on going with tnt? Your not set up for that programming.

And I told you so.

And also told you to run sw5

5. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

curious to know what a timing ring mod is? and the advantages, also, is it doable on my 04.5?

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights
    100k miles, gettin broke in

6. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
    Why are you on going with tnt? Your not set up for that programming.

And I told you so.

And also told you to run sw5
    I am running SW5. We're talking about the timing mods

TNT? What are you yelling at me for now? LOL I bought a used programmer from Killer. It's POD so I'm kinda stuck with it. Going to do UDC and be done with it

7. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stryker04cummins View Post
    curious to know what a timing ring mod is? and the advantages, also, is it doable on my 04.5?
    see here http://igotacummins.com/showthread.p...ight=tone+ring

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Squirting just a hair too soon maybe? Wondering if your tone ring mod pushes it just barely past peak timing
    i always called that timing rattle, i never worried about it. to lower the timing set it to 1, as 2 is the most advanced. see if that helps. in 50K it never hurt mine. but you should do your due diligence.
    New Problem SW5, Fuel 2, Timing 3, Torque 4

My torque converter is slipping when locked on mild acceleration. I'm going to back down the settings, Timing 4 and torque back to 3. See how it goes. When the weather breaks, I'll drop the pan and boost the pressure 10 or 20 PSI. Guess I better start saving for a converter.

9. Top Of Page | #39
    If I have a stock turbo would switching the waste gate to off do anything?

10. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Squirting just a hair too soon maybe? Wondering if your tone ring mod pushes it just barely past peak timing
    Quote Originally Posted by carlithecummins View Post
    If I have a stock turbo would switching the waste gate to off do anything?
    I don't know what you are driving so it's hard to say

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast