Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm a Smarty Nit Wit Need some help where to start

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Lightbulb I'm a Smarty Nit Wit Need some help where to start

@Killer223 @diggerdave @Canadiandiesel

2003 3500 CR, air horn, upgraded turbo (HE351) +50 HP injectors, Fass 95, Quadzilla V2 (Will be turned off and be a set of gauges)
    This might be important to know. The timing ring mod has been done. It's advanced about 2*

Mission: MPG and low smoke

For you guys that have the been hangin with me for years, you know where I am with a Smarty. I am sorry to say, I own one now. But it appears to be my only alternitive to reach my goals.

Killer told me where he was most successful with MPG but I can't find it now.

I need some suggestions on how to do my initial setup.

When I have some history with it, I can go with the UDC

Thanks in advance

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #2
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Thought you were going to wait till you get udc and go from there

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
    Thought you were going to wait till you get udc and go from there
    To get UDC I have to get the Smarty right? I wanted to get some history on the Smarty before the UDC. That's next.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Yes you need the smarty programmer prior to having udc, because what you do is develop a file just like efi live and program it through the smarty

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
    Yes you need the smarty programmer prior to having udc, because what you do is develop a file just like efi live and program it through the smarty
    Yes. But I'm getting the UDC done outside. I want to see which tune I should base the tune on. Either way, it's here and I would like to run it. The last one I had was in 04, those tunes were in their infancy.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

http://madselectronics.com/downloadf...DCSoftware.pdf sorry its a lot to read, but its a lot of info for ya

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

i would start small and work your way up from there. if your not a hotrodder then id start with SW3, leave the options alone. see how that doe4s for your truck. no matter the tune on my 04 i never for clouds of smoke.
    i achieved the best MPG's on SW5, timing 4, Rail 2, torque managment 2.
    how ever i liked the truck the most on SW7, timing 4, rail 2, torque 3.
    i am very light footed. i add a quart of supertech tcw-3 to every tank of fuel. i'm a 4x4 living at 7000 feet. my best tank was 21.5 usually around 18 or so with the intown driving i have to do.

8. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Killer223 View Post
    i would start small and work your way up from there. if your not a hotrodder then id start with SW3, leave the options alone. see how that doe4s for your truck. no matter the tune on my 04 i never for clouds of smoke.
    i am very light footed. i add a quart of supertech tcw-3 to every tank of fuel. i'm a 4x4 living at 7000 feet. my best tank was 21.5 usually around 18 or so with the intown driving i have to do.
    U da man. One old fart to another.

You're already are 1/2 an MPG over my best in that terrain, which is hillier than it is here. + you are 750 pounds heavier with the 4 X and the extra drive line friction.

Like you, I drive with eggs under my shoes. I have to really. I'd be ramming someone if I didn't.

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Killer223 View Post
    U da man. One old fart to another.

You're already are 1/2 an MPG over my best in that terrain, which is hillier than it is here. + you are 750 pounds heavier with the 4 X and the extra drive line friction.

Like you, I drive with eggs under my shoes. I have to really. I'd be ramming someone if I didn't.

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

OK Here it goes

Installed the tuner no problems. The only deviation I did was knocked the timing down one notch because of the timing ring mod. It's not agressive timing so I may go up one now that I drove it a bit.

The first time I was able to hit it WOT, it popped from the exhaust once. What was that???? Hasn't done it since.

I noticed the rail pressure is much higher than the Quad was giving it. It is more responsive now because of the timing. Smoke is about the same, Which is OK. EGT's seem to be a tad lower

@thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel @double r diesel

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast