Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TF-727 problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

TF-727 problems

Ok my 727 was just rebuilt. The problem I'm having is the drive gears are out of order. But park revers and nutral on the colem are also the same down on the trans. Only the drive greas are outa wake. When I put the shifter into drive the trans goes into second and when I put the shifter into second the trans goes into first? It also won't shift on it's own? Yes the lockdown linkage is adjusted as should be. Where shld I start to figure out what the heck is going on? It is a 1985 727. Don't know if that matters. Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 85w250 View Post
    Ok my 727 was just rebuilt. The problem I'm having is the drive gears are out of order. But park revers and nutral on the colem are also the same down on the trans. Only the drive greas are outa wake. When I put the shifter into drive the trans goes into second and when I put the shifter into second the trans goes into first? It also won't shift on it's own? Yes the lockdown linkage is adjusted as should be. Where shld I start to figure out what the heck is going on? It is a 1985 727. Don't know if that matters. Thanks!
    This is a diesel forum.

OK I know what it is though. What kind of car is it? Year, mods, motor, everything.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It's a 85 w250 with a 90 firstgen cummins with a torqueflight 727 behind it. No mods and yes I know this is a d

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Diesel fourm

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Holy cow! there's still some 85's still around? My apologies. I'm an avid Mopar guy so when you say 727, that covers allot of ground for me.

Your shift lever is out of adjustment or the bell crank bushings are worn out. I am assuming Park is not holding either.

Put the shift lever in park. Loosen the adjuster bolt on the shifter linkage. Move the lever on the trans all the way forward and tighten the adjuster. It shouldn't move much, maybe a click. There are detents in the valve body that can be easily felt and heard. Then have someone put it in neutral slowly while you watch the lever and listen. You should hear 2 clicks and the lever should be almost straight out. Put it back in park and start. Give it a try then.

The reason it's not shifting is because the shifter is going too far back. It's in the manual mode. That or the trans guy messed up big time.

The bell crank is the arm that goes between the frame and the trans. The column shifter goes to it, and a short rod goes from it to the selector lever on the trans. The bell crank rotates on 2 plastic bushings, one on each end. If they are worn, replace them. This does 2 things. It makes sure the shifts are more consistent and especially makes park work better. If there is a bushing on the trans selector, replace that too.

If park is holding, it's only partially engaged. 3 clicks from the park position is drive. Sounds like you are passing it into the manual mode. Or it's just enough to take it out of the automatic mode. If it's not right, you could damage the trans.

If all else fails, and everything is set right, then there may be a problem in the valve body.

Was the trans done by a pro?

@85w250

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes everything had been adjusted as it should. Park holds as it should. Everything works I.e. P, r, & n. Yes it was rebuilt by a guy who only rebuilds old dodge trans. It's hard to explain what's going on. It's like the trans is a gear lower the what the gearshift is in. I'v already replaced all the bushings for the selector and kickdown linkage. I'v also checked both bands to make sure they have been adjusted right and changed fluids. I was thanking maybe the valve body had something todo with it but i don't know how to adjust the valve body. I know there is some way to adjust for kickdown if your out of adjustment on the kickdown adjustment on the outside of the trans. But is there a way to adjust it to fix the problem I'm having?

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Basically when u shift it into 2nd on the gearshift inside the truck u can feel 4 clicks or whatever but the trans is going into first. But there is still one more click when u move the gearshift into first.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

What gear is it in when you have the selector in Neutral?

If you are sure everything is adjusted correctly, there isn't much we can do without seeing it.

The trans selector can only go on one way. I guess you could loosen it and see if it's centered right. Something has changed since the trans was removed.

Everything you are telling us indicates the shifter is not set correctly. Double check your work. Check it as I described above.