Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: head studs.......

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

head studs.......

so, do you have to do any modification (drillin, tapping) when you buy headstuds??

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've only got experience with ARPs and they go right in without tapping or drilling. If the threads in the block are a little rough, then a simple thread chasing is all that may be needed. All they need to do is to reach the bottom for reference. You actually install head studs about a half a turn from the bottom.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

thanks ya I was looking at em I didn understand why everyone didn do it if it was that simple but then I saw how much it costs $741 dollars http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/A1...-h11-studs.htm I couldn believe it. I know the arp is cheaper but why on earth is it hundreds of dollars????

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I've got over $1100 in a set of ARP 625s in my 2012 6.7. No sir they are not cheap...especially for ARP 625s. 425s are much more affordable, but once you torque a set of 625s you don't have to worry about them any more with most applications. Bottom line is that you will have to pay for high quality engine fasteners. They may be overpriced but you get what you pay for.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, kidweld thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, kidweld liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Unless your doing big boost numbers (like 100 psi) the 425s will work fine

8. Top Of Page | #7
    I've heard you can install studs without a head removal? Is this true? Go in order of torque sequence or something?

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
    I've heard you can install studs without a head removal? Is this true? Go in order of torque sequence or something?
    Yes you can. I did so.

http://igotacummins.com/showthread.php?t=3534

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Install in order of torquing and do an initial torque of ~90, then work up from there. Make sure you use ARP lube and stud should not be bottomed in the block. Hot torques are not recommended for the integrity of the fastener, but can get more squish out of the gasket

12. Likes K-Sons liked this post