Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Smarty Nit Wit Need some help where to start

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Squirting just a hair too soon maybe? Wondering if your tone ring mod pushes it just barely past peak timing

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    Squirting just a hair too soon maybe? Wondering if your tone ring mod pushes it just barely past peak timing
    I was thinking that, but the timing setting isn't all the way up yet

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #23
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

If not timing then duration would be the cause. But I don't think you can adjust that until UDC

4. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

If not timing then duration would be the cause. But I don't think you can adjust that until UDC
    I dunno. . . What do you think? Leave it for a while? It only seems to be from idle and very very faint. I mean turn your had and listen for it. Hard to pick out because the engine noise has changed. Maybe I'm paranoid? Anyway, in bout 60 days, you and Ray will be able to get your stabs at it with the UDC.

Goint to follow Killers lead on this and up the torque a notch. Working Torque kis where you get MPG from

Chuck, this may be of interest to you too. @CRToney

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #25
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I dunno. . . What do you think? Leave it for a while? It only seems to be from idle and very very faint. I mean turn your had and listen for it. Hard to pick out because the engine noise has changed. Maybe I'm paranoid? Anyway, in bout 60 days, you and Ray will be able to get your stabs at it with the UDC.

Goint to follow Killers lead on this and up the torque a notch. Working Torque kis where you get MPG from

Chuck, this may be of interest to you too. @CRToney
    Can either try playing with it a bit, or running it a little longer and see if it settles out. Idk for sure, but I bet it tweaks the pilot injection and all. That's probably where the sounds different comes from. At least that's where I'd place my bet.

6. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Can either try playing with it a bit, or running it a little longer and see if it settles out. Idk for sure, but I bet it tweaks the pilot injection and all. That's probably where the sounds different comes from. At least that's where I'd place my bet.
    That's what I was thinking. The engine seems to be a bit louder. I don't care about that though. The new sound is making it hard for me to pick out the unwanted. Obviously, I don't just rely on the Jeans Gauge. Detonation is dangerous. It sounds like it needs a valve adjustment now. I know it does, but it will have to wait until the end of March.

7. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

i always called that timing rattle, i never worried about it. to lower the timing set it to 1, as 2 is the most advanced. see if that helps. in 50K it never hurt mine. but you should do your due diligence.

8. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Killer223 View Post
    i always called that timing rattle, i never worried about it. to lower the timing set it to 1, as 2 is the most advanced. see if that helps. in 50K it never hurt mine. but you should do your due diligence.
    So you had it too? OK I'm going to stay where it is for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for the input

9. Top Of Page | #29
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Killer223 View Post
    Ahhh timing rattle. If it is what that is, just about all of our trucks have it. It's just matter of how bad. If your just barely hearing it and it goes away really quick then your fine. Mine only does it if I barely lug it. But still does it.

10. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

i always ran the most timing i could for the MPG's. might be higher cylinder temps but also lower egt's. i would go from 18-19 without smarty to 20-22 mpg highway with it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast