Thanks Thanks:  45
Likes Likes:  84
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picoscope Waveforms

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Quote Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the output waveform of something like a NOx sensor.

It seems like it would be near impossible to get a stable trigger on.

Another favorite of mine would be to see variances in the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) output, pin 1 orange wire.

Thanks,
    -Jake-
    Thanks for your words of encouragement; I am still quite new at this and learning as I go.

Unfortunately, my NOx sensor is no longer in service. I did a little research on the IBS module and found it sends data out on the LIN bus (see attached).

It will take me quite some time to learn and get up to speed on LIN/CAN bus systems and protocol, as it’s all new to me.

Thanks for the links you provided in your previous post.

I will continue to post my findings as progress and appreciate any comments and suggestions.

I am having fun and slowly gaining more knowledge as I go.

IBS Operation.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS, Collin42 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Thanks for your words of encouragement; I am still quite new at this and learning as I go.

Unfortunately, my NOx sensor is no longer in service.

I did a little research on the IBS module and found it sends data out on the LIN bus (see attached).

It will take me quite some time to learn and get up to speed on LIN/CAN bus systems and protocol, as it’s all new to me.

Thanks for the links you provided in your previous post.

I will continue to post my findings as progress and appreciate any comments and suggestions.

IBS Operation.pdf
    Yes indeed.

I'm one of the odd ones with a fully stock, emissions-compliant truck (until it breaks).

Thanks for your work on this stuff!

2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

I'm under the impression that you will need to do a packet capture to make any sense of data on the bus.

Plus (it's my assumption), you will need to know the format of the data packet you are trying to decode, i.e., parity, security, data levels, etc...

You have quite the task ahead of you, but I'm extremely interested in how far you can go with that scope of yours.

Please keep us posted, and again, thanks!

-Jake-

6. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Starter voltage and current.

Starter Voltage and Current.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Some might say; "what good is that waveform?

It doesn't fix anything."

The answer is: Knowing what a healthy start cycle looks like could prove incredibly valuable when your troubleshooting battery, charging, starting problems.

Like a box of band-aids.

It seems useless until you lay open a finger in the middle of a heater core job and need to finish without hemorrhaging all over the vehicle's interior.

Okay, bad example, but you get the idea.

-Jake-

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Agreed, I always say if you don’t know how it works when it’s working, you will never be able to fix it when it’s broken.

In other words, the best time to learn any system or piece of equipment is to gather and document information before it breaks.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

12. Thanks Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Agreed, I always say if you don’t know how it works when it’s working, you will never be able to fix it when it’s broken.

In other words, the best time to learn any system or piece of equipment is to gather and document information before it breaks.

Totally agree.

2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / 3.42 / stock tire size / Silver / Bighorn

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Alternator AC Ripple/Diode test waveform.

Alternator Ripple Voltage and Current.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

16. Thanks Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Injector #1 voltage and current.

One pilot injection then main.

Noticed when the engine is cold (less than 120* F) there are two pilot injections prior to the main (see the second screenshot).

Injector #1 Voltage and Current.jpg

Injector #1 Control Current Cold.jpg

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Picoscope Waveforms

Dang, you are mapping those systems pretty well.

I haven't really looked at these before.

Very intriguing.

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

20. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast