I need some advice about what to do concerning a mechanic has repeatedly lied about the time frame for a job.

I decided to re-gear my truck to 4.10 Gears after going to 37's recently. I purchased all gears and install kits myself and was referred by the diesel shop that did my exhaust to a shop about 45 mins away. The owner said he was a little backed up and couldn't get to it right away and to call him the following week about bringing it in when he was available. Approximately 10 days after my initial phone call he said to bring it in. I dropped it off on a Thursday and he said he thought it would be done the following Tuesday.

He has now had my truck at his shop for 43 days. I've had a rental car 90% of the time racking up that bill. The first week or two after he failed to meet his own time fame I felt I became invested in the project already and he kept telling me that my truck was next on his priorities but then would make ridiculous excuses every single time of why he wasn't able to get to it.

I kept believing him and eventually he claimed to start the rear diff. I should mention that not once has he ever returned my phone call after my truck was at his shop. Maybe 1 out of 6 times will he answer the phone. I call every 3-4 days and he tells me a new date and then fails to meet it. I've driven to his shop to confront him 6 or 7 times. The last 3 weeks the rear diff he says has been started but not completed so I can't even take the truck and no progress is being made by his own admission.

Has anyone encountered anything similar and if so are there any actions I can take? I'm considering legal action but don't know if I have any ground to stand on or how to go about it. The shop is located in Texas.

I work overseas for 3-4 months at a time and have about 4 weeks left before I return to work.

At this point i'm very concerned that he won't finish my truck before I have to leave and I have no idea what that will lead to.