Likes Likes:  64
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Market Grid Heater Relocate Kit

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Black Market Grid Heater Relocate Kit

Quote Originally Posted by inline6c View Post
    That makes sense.

What confuses me is how my truck puts out inside cab heat so fast in the morning with it 30 degrees out.

It seems like it's blowing hot air almost instantly.

I assumed that the grid heaters pre and post-heat (I believe i read it does this till it heats up to around 60 degrees) was the answer.

My company truck is a 2021 F350 6.7L, and it takes 10x longer to start blowing heat.

I know the new truck was ordered for Colorado and has the winter package and all those bells and whistles, but I still haven't found anything that lets me know how it throws the heat out so quickly (which I thoroughly enjoy)

2018 Ram 2500 Limited TungstenRevMax ZeroFlex VBProven DieselLeveled w/ 35s
    I'm unsure about the ‘18, but my 21 Laramie has an auxiliary cab heater that gives interior heat faster.

At least, that’s what the build sheet and sticker claims.

Yours being a limited, I would not be surprised.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

2. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Thanks for that info, CrazyTrain.

I used that info to do some more digging.

Apparently, 5th gens (starting in 2019) comes with the Supplemental Cab Heat (Not sure if it is standard or optional).

It uses three 400-watt resistors that equal 100 amps at 12 volts (Relays and fuses are located under the hood in the AUX PDC fuse box. See attached photo).

Depending on the temperature, it can turn on each one or all three as needed.

Specific criteria must be met, such as.

-Engine must be running at 700RPM or greater
    -Outside temp is below 68F
    -Coolant temp is below 158F
    -Battery voltage must not fall below 12.6

It seems the company that makes these for RAM is PTC (Pelonis Technology Inc.).

The heater is ceramic and is located in the HVAC duct downstream of the heater core (See attached photo).

Also, from what I've read from a few people's experiences that have owned 2018 that traded in for 2019, their 2018 seemed to produce heat a little quicker.

I'm still trying to hunt down what might be the possible reason for that, LOL.

Sorry for all the techy stuff and all that. I love learning about our trucks and bouncing information off each other.

That's one of the things I love about this forum and the RAM community!

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten<>RevMax ZeroFlex VB<>Proven Diesel<>Leveled w/ 35s

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten Silver
    Proven Diesel <> Leveled 35s

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Thanks for that info, CrazyTrain.

I used that info to do some more digging.

Apparently, 5th gens (starting in 2019) comes with the Supplemental Cab Heat (Not sure if it is standard or optional).

It uses three 400-watt resistors that equal 100 amps at 12 volts (Relays and fuses are located under the hood in the AUX PDC fuse box. See attached photo).

Depending on the temperature, it can turn on each one or all three as needed.

Specific criteria must be met, such as.

-Engine must be running at 700RPM or greater
    -Outside temp is below 68F
    -Coolant temp is below 158F
    -Battery voltage must not fall below 12.6

It seems the company that makes these for RAM is PTC (Pelonis Technology Inc.).

The heater is ceramic and is located in the HVAC duct downstream of the heater core (See attached photo).

Also, from what I've read from a few people's experiences that have owned 2018 that traded in for 2019, their 2018 seemed to produce heat a little quicker.

I'm still trying to hunt down what might be the possible reason for that, LOL.

Sorry for all the techy stuff and all that. I love learning about our trucks and bouncing information off each other.

That's one of the things I love about this forum and the RAM community!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...46754330c6.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...66b606380e.jpg

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten<>RevMax ZeroFlex VB<>Proven Diesel<>Leveled w/ 35s
    Inline6c, thank you for the in-depth research on this.

Very informative.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

5. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, inline6c thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

I have the glacier diesel grid heater on my truck and I highly recommend it. Started my Ram up today that's been sitting all week not plugged in and today it was single digits. She fired up and was a little choppy but I think that was due to the battery voltage going up and down. She went into battery saver mode.

7. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, inline6c thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, inline6c liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Very nice! That is the complete setup I would like to get. I might have to do it stages though LOL. I'm thinking of ordering the intake plenum now. Seeing how thats the most important piece and going to be the funnest to change having to remove fuel lines/rail/ect. I'll clean up my factory horn and use it till I can get the GDP one. And finally the last piece to the puzzle... the grid heater LOL.

I love my truck, but here lately it's decided it wants to hit my bank account all at once.

There are a few designs on the Banks horn I think I like better (at least looking the spec on paper). 1) On the inside going in to the block Banks doesn't have the lip that air hits that might can cause a turbulence effect. Not sure if that makes any difference at all, just something I think about. 2) Putting the #1 line back on Banks comes with a modified line that seems to make that easier and less... Crammed?. How was your install and your thoughts?

On the other hand, I absolutely love GDP's design of the Grid Heater over Banks. And GDPs intake plenum looks very clean!

9. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Very nice! That is the complete setup I would like to get. I might have to do it stages though LOL. I'm thinking of ordering the intake plenum now. Seeing how thats the most important piece and going to be the funnest to change having to remove fuel lines/rail/ect. I'll clean up my factory horn and use it till I can get the GDP one. And finally the last piece to the puzzle... the grid heater LOL.

I love my truck, but here lately it's decided it wants to hit my bank account all at once.

There are a few designs on the Banks horn I think I like better (at least looking the spec on paper). 1) On the inside going in to the block Banks doesn't have the lip that air hits that might can cause a turbulence effect. Not sure if that makes any difference at all, just something I think about. 2) Putting the #1 line back on Banks comes with a modified line that seems to make that easier and less... Crammed?. How was your install and your thoughts?

On the other hand, I absolutely love GDP's design of the Grid Heater over Banks. And GDPs intake plenum looks very clean!

I highly recommend the GDP intake horn and grid heater. Easy install and the GDP horn uses the stock fuel lines.

IMG_1803.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks inline6c, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes inline6c, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Very clean Bob! Now that just makes me want to get everything now all at once . I think the black intake horn looks the best! I'm not real big in to flashy bright colors in the engine bay, but that's just personal preference.

That setup is very nice and hopefully mine will be like that soon. I've watched probably every YouTube video on the install, so I don't think I'll have any issues. But if I run in to one, I may have to send you a SOS to help me figure it out

13. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Very clean Bob! Now that just makes me want to get everything now all at once . I think the black intake horn looks the best! I'm not real big in to flashy bright colors in the engine bay, but that's just personal preference.

That setup is very nice and hopefully mine will be like that soon. I've watched probably every YouTube video on the install, so I don't think I'll have any issues. But if I run in to one, I may have to send you a SOS to help me figure it out

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...+heater+delete

Here is another good source of information on your journey on the installation.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

15. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Absolutely, always here to help in anyway we can. One of the biggest issues to avoid is making sure you don’t accidentally loosen the injector nut for the crossover tubes when removing the fuel lines.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12