Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooper Rugged Trek Equivalent-ish?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cooper Rugged Trek Equivalent-ish?

I have a set of 35/12.5R20 on my RAM 2500, and they need replacement soon.

Some online shopping shows them at about $400 a tire right now.

I don't remember what I paid before, but that seems a little high, maybe.

I was wondering if there are any recommendations for a similar alternative.

If I have to spend that much per tire, then I will.

They were always a really good tire.

They completely outperformed Nitto and Toyo regarding drivability, and this was my first set of coopers.

However, if there are any suggestions for a possible alternative brand that performs similarly, I would be open to hearing about them.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Cooper Rugged Trek Equivalent-ish?

Unfortunately, that’s about the going rate on quality tires that size.

I have the 35/12.50 Wildpeak on mine and paid $1,850 for all four out the door.

Four years ago, I paid $850 out the door for the same set.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's about the going rate on quality tires that size.

I have the 35/12.50 Wildpeak on mine and paid $1,850 for all four out the door.

Four years ago, I paid $850 out the door for the same set.

That may also be the case; I forgot to consider that prices on everything go up.

I could find them at a local place for $1700.00 and change installed.

If that's around about price, then I understand that also.

When you say quality tires, I'm guessing that any price less than that for another brand will start sacrificing quality or performance.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have the Maxxis RZR MT from Swabs.

In the last set, I got 60k, great tires, and I recently got another set.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    That may also be the case; I forgot to consider that prices on everything go up.

I could find them at a local place for $1700.00 and change installed.

If that's around about price, then I understand that also.

When you say quality tires, I'm guessing that any price less than that for another brand will start sacrificing quality or performance.

Yes, I got 60k out of my last set of Wildpeaks.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Removed, obsolete question.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

How does the warranty typically work on tires?

I know the ones I have now have a 55,000 mi warranty, and I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten that sort of life out of them.

Just curious, before I go spending another 2000 on a set of tires, if the opportunity exists for me to somehow benefit from that warranty

Also, given the brief information I may have gleaned from the internet, it might be worth noting that my tires are not evenly worn.

For some reason, the right tire has more additional wear than the other three, perhaps from an alignment issue, but I'm not optimistic.

I'm not sure if the fact that one tire is unevenly worn would not make a warranty applicable since it may be indicative of lacking maintenance.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    How does the warranty typically work on tires?

I know the ones I have now have a 55,000 mi warranty, and I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten that sort of life out of them.

Just curious, before I go spending another 2000 on a set of tires, if the opportunity exists for me to somehow benefit from that warranty

Also, given the brief information I may have gleaned from the internet, it might be worth noting that my tires are not evenly worn.

For some reason, the right tire has more additional wear than the other three, perhaps from an alignment issue, but I'm not optimistic.

I'm not sure if the fact that one tire is unevenly worn would not make a warranty applicable since it may be indicative of lacking maintenance.

In my experience dealing with the shop I purchased the tires from and installed, they measured the tire tread remaining and prorated them for a discount on a new set.

It seems it’s up to the shop manager’s discretion; they checked their records for proof of regularly scheduled rotation and may request documentation if they don’t have it.

I ended up with a $350 savings on a set of six Michelin tires.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I went to Discount Tire, where I bought them initially, and two of the four tires were measured "bad" by their little handheld scanner.

There is only 20,000 mi on the tires, so they can replace those two tires for $371.

They're going to move the two "almost but not officially bad yet" tires to the front since there is no possible way that they will last for another 35,000 miles, and at some point here in the future, they will qualify for warranty replacement as well.

Absolute worst case, if my drivability is impacted by having two new in the back and two old in the front, I can always purchase two new tires for the front.

Not a terrible price for two new tires!

By the way, their handheld scanner measured that the tires were not evenly worn between the inside, middle, and outside, but they did not cause me any fuss that I did not properly maintain them.

18. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I know swabs; you don't get a mileage warranty for their Mud Terrain tires.

Proper alignments, ball joints, tie rods, and bushings will optimize the life expectancy for your next set of tires.

I just threw $2400 " installed " without doing an alignment.

Thinking of getting one, but my tires wore perfectly as I did their recommended rotations, whatever miles they suggested.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast