Thanks Thanks:  65
Likes Likes:  152
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ABS Module/Controller?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

ABS Module/Controller?

Apparently, this is a known or common issue on 2017 and 2018 2500's:

Getting ABS light and "service electronic braking system" message.

The shop (not the dealer) says I need a new ABS Module and Controller - parts are also very back ordered.

I don't care to spend $1600 on this, but the most annoying part is it has disabled my cruise control.

Is there any workaround for this?

Could it be tuned out to ignore the ABS module until it *hopefully* gets recalled by RAM?

@DRD

That might be a little un-kosher as a safety item, but it's not doing anything as-is.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

ABS Module/Controller?

Nope.

I can't tune around it.

God bless,
    Ray
    DRD

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

ABS Module/Controller?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

ABS Module/Controller?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Thank you!

That is a solid option, for sure.

This might be a stupid question, but can i drive the truck while it's removed and being worked on?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

ABS Module/Controller?

Another option I have seen some people try is to unplug the module, clean out the plug carefully and check for loose individual wire plugs.

I have read a few people having luck with that method if your issue is intermittent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

ABS Module/Controller?

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Thank you!

That is a solid option, for sure.

This might be a stupid question, but can i drive the truck while it's removed and being worked on?
    According to the FQA’s (see below), you can drive the truck with the ABS Control Module removed.

You will have trouble codes and dash warnings, it’s recommended you protect and cover the connector in an baggie and cover hydraulic pump actuator with aluminum foil.

2. Can I Drive Without An ABS Module?

You can still drive without a functional ABS control module, as long as there’s no problem with your conventional brake system.

However, take extra care, especially in wet or slick conditions, as the brakes’ anti-lock element won’t work, and you likely won’t have steering control if your tires lock up.
    Your vehicle ABS might also have an Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) system, where the ABS module controls the front and rear brake bias.
    What’s brake bias?
    Brake bias controls the balance of braking force, to account for weight shift during braking.
    In conventional hydraulic brakes, the pressure at the wheels is adjusted via a mechanical proportioning valve. But with EBD, the ABS system manages brake bias better than a simple proportioning valve.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Re: ABS Module/Controller?

I just replaced mine on the first of the year.

Unfortunately, from what research I had done.

It seemed like most people found the issue was actually in the pump, not the electronic module.

You might want to get a second opinion before replacing the module, not the pump.

I replaced my pump, reused the abs module, and have not had an issue since.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MechEngineer17 View Post
    Another option I have seen some people try is to unplug the module, clean out the plug carefully and check for loose individual wire plugs.

I have read a few people having luck with that method if your issue is intermittent.

It is on reasonably consistently, but I do luck out sometimes with it going off while towing at higher speeds for whatever reason.

I will try that.

I know nothing about this part, so I will have to figure out where this thing is.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    It is on reasonably consistently, but I do luck out sometimes with it going off while towing at higher speeds for whatever reason.

I will try that.

I know nothing about this part, so I will have to figure out where this thing is.
    Hopefully, this helps the video I attached; the guy had similar symptoms.

This is a link to the video, which shows the location and describes cleaning the plug.

Good luck, and keep us posted if it helps you!

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MechEngineer17 View Post

Hopefully, this helps the video I attached; the guy had similar symptoms.

This is a link to the video, which shows the location and describes cleaning the plug.

Good luck, and keep us posted if it helps you!

Thank you!

I hope this saves me some pain, suffering, and money.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast