Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  63
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banks Boost Tubes With 2nd Gen Swap

1. Top Of Page | #11

Re: Banks Boost Tubes With 2nd Gen Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Changing from 4" to 12" exhaust will not require any tuning.

If your stock, EGR, SCR, DPF, DEF, that's when the tune is needed to swap the exhaust out.
    Perfect, I just needed to know for sure to quit overthinking!

Thank you for answering all my questions and giving me all the insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I purchased the hot and cold side 3.5" boost tubes and installed them this evening.

I did what the instructions suggested, minus removing the fender wells.

I took the stock plastic cold side pipe off and the straight steel hot side pipe off "came with the 2g kit."

I noticed that the Banks pipe was a bit longer with a rise or dip in the pipe, which wouldn't align up either direction "as it's fit for the VGT location."

Little irritated it wouldn't work and paid for a nice pipe with no use. ;\.

As for just the cold side installed with a factory intercooler, the truck has a punch just for a bigger pipe.

Quickly hit 36.36 lbs with ease.

Mid to low 80s here, coolant temp hit 192, max EGT on WOT hit 808°.

I suggest the cold side for those looking for this upgrade with the 2G swap.

Next will be the Banks intercooler to crisp up the intake temps.

I've read a bit on folks saying just the pipes alone won't make a difference; I can call bs to the full extent.

Venturi effect, as pressure decreases, "bigger pipe \ less restriction" velocity increases and vice versa.

I was skeptical about how boost would drop, but for my rig, it seems every day driving; it's a touch lower, but mid to WOT, it will spool up quicker than it used to.

As far as a tone, you'll hear a deeper rumble and the turbo much easier with hardly any throttle.

I run AGP'S T51R compressor housing, intensifying the whistle a ton more.

I hope this will help out a member or two down the road.
    I remember seeing this post about a week ago, so I finally decided to purchase a Pusher mega 3.5-inch tube for the driver's side, aka cold side.

I wanted to do the hot side by the turbo, but as Corkey said, it probably won't fit my 2nd Gen S467.7 setup.

So on that side, I still have Smedings metal pipe hooked up to my Stainless Diesel turbo.

Don't forget to put the rubber o-ring on the end of that pipe that v-bands to the turbo if you have Smedings.

I double-checked mine the other day, and well not there, LOL.

It was probably sealed up, but I think it may have had a slight boost leak where they joined together.

A trip to Oreillys and a universal o-ring fixed that.

Anyway, I hope to see good results with the dented-looking restrictive oem pipe out of the way.

This will be hooked up to GDP Intake Horn, GDP gride heater delete plate and grid heater.

If it helps any other member, my truck is on stock fuel Steed Speed manifold, Stainless S467.7 5 blade, and I sometimes tow heavy.

Also, if any members know what parts are needed to replace the hot side pipe, let me know because oil changes suck.

My turbo is low mounted, and I have looked at a v-band 90-degree elbow that comes off the turbo and maybe a strait pipe to a curved boot.

Something that would be possibly easier to take apart when getting to the oil filter.

I never really cared for Smeding's hot side pipe because it is difficult to line up for the initial installation.

4. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

So I got the Pusher Mega 3.5 drivers side boost tube in.

The quality is top-notch with everything I received, so I am thrilled.

The installation, though, was a little rough, I won't lie.

Trying not to scratch up the powder coating on the pipe is next to impossible, and the clamps for the intercooler end are tough to reach due to the power steering gearbox being in the way.

I had to use a ratcheting wrench, which was difficult even then.

I got it lined up and finally got the boot over my GDP grid heater.

When I took the truck for a drive, I will say that I think the EGTs were a tad cooler and that it helped with some mid-range spool of the turbo and even with the intake temperature.

So, in the end,d after hating the installation, I think it was worth it.

Pushers' quality is top-notch, and I think regardless of who you use, it's not going to be easy getting a 3.5-inch pipe in there, and it's the nature of the beast.

Look at the difference in size versus stock.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    I remember seeing this post about a week ago, so I finally decided to purchase a Pusher mega 3.5-inch tube for the driver's side, aka cold side.

I wanted to do the hot side by the turbo, but as Corkey said, it probably won't fit my 2nd Gen S467.7 setup.

So on that side, I still have Smedings metal pipe hooked up to my Stainless Diesel turbo.

Don't forget to put the rubber o-ring on the end of that pipe that v-bands to the turbo if you have Smedings.

I double-checked mine the other day, and well not there, LOL.

It was probably sealed up, but I think it may have had a slight boost leak where they joined together.

A trip to Oreillys and a universal o-ring fixed that.

Anyway, I hope to see good results with the dented-looking restrictive oem pipe out of the way.

This will be hooked up to GDP Intake Horn, GDP gride heater delete plate and grid heater.

If it helps any other member, my truck is on stock fuel Steed Speed manifold, Stainless S467.7 5 blade, and I sometimes tow heavy.

Also, if any members know what parts are needed to replace the hot side pipe, let me know because oil changes suck.

My turbo is low mounted, and I have looked at a v-band 90-degree elbow that comes off the turbo and maybe a strait pipe to a curved boot.

Something that would be possibly easier to take apart when getting to the oil filter.

I never really cared for Smeding's hot side pipe because it is difficult to line up for the initial installation.
    Honestly, your best bet is just getting into contact with a fab shop and getting something made or changing to a high-mount kit.

I don't think you're going to find much otherwise.

V-band (both ends) ninety off the turbo, and then a short stub of pipe with a v-band connection on one side stuffed into the intercooler boot, charge pipe in between.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

Quote Originally Posted by BuckMeister View Post
    Honestly, your best bet is just getting into contact with a fab shop and getting something made or changing to a high-mount kit.

I don't think you're going to find much otherwise.

V-band (both ends) ninety off the turbo, and then a short stub of pipe with a v-band connection on one side stuffed into the intercooler boot, charge pipe in between.
    Yeah, I guess I would have to flip my Steed Speed manifold, also.

I mean, I guess by the time I am done, it would cost a good chunk of money.

I may leave it at this point and have fun pulling the fender liner every time I do an oil change.

I do have the screw-on T-tool for the oil filter, so at least it won't spill everywhere fishing it out.

I guess it's one of those things that if I had a choice to do it over, I would've gone high mount and not Smeding, to begin with.[

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Yeah, I guess I would have to flip my Steed Speed manifold, also.

I mean, I guess by the time I am done, it would cost a good chunk of money.

I may leave it at this point and have fun pulling the fender liner every time I do an oil change.

I do have the screw-on T-tool for the oil filter, so at least it won't spill everywhere fishing it out.

I guess it's one of those things that if I had a choice to do it over, I would've gone high mount and not Smeding, to begin with.
    Yes, you would have to flip it and possibly add a spacer.

New downpipe, intake, and oil lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12