Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Charge Circuit On Trailer?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Charge Circuit On Trailer?

Not isolated, always hot, does anyone modify theirs to isolate?

OK, poking around in my trailer wiring, I see the battery charge circuit goes right to the battery via a 30A fuse.

I had it run my battery down before plugging into my trailer; all my other rigs were isolated, only hot when the key was in the run position.

I am considering running a continuous duty solenoid or maybe a 30A relay to interrupt the charge circuit and have it power up in the run (not acc position) instead of hot all the time.

Has anyone else ever done this?

I would always run a 30A auto reset circuit breaker, too, to act as a current limiter; say my trailer battery is dead, alt capable of over 100 amps; what is stopping it from overloading the 30A fuse and popping it?

Auto reset breaker will open and close till the battery finally comes up to under 30A charge rate and remain closed.

Just bouncing ideas around; I already studied the wiring diagram.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Charge Circuit On Trailer?

I’ve left my trailer connected to my truck for over two weeks without starting the truck (couple-year-old trailer battery).

It didn’t phase; my truck started right up.

I only have one battery in my truck that did away with the passenger-side battery a few years ago.

Also never had an issue blowing a fuse, even with wiring my air compressor directly to that circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    I've left my trailer connected to my truck for over two weeks without starting the truck (couple-year-old trailer battery).

It didn't phase; my truck started right up.

I only have one battery in my truck that did away with the passenger-side battery a few years ago.

Also never had an issue blowing a fuse, even with wiring my air compressor directly to that circuit.

I have an enclosed trailer, stereo, heater, lighting, etc.

I'm unsure why my battery was a dead, but I'm glad I checked it before heading to the cabin.

All hooked up now (trailer) but not plugged in.

If someone was to leave a light on in my trailer, I could run truck batteries down; with an isolator, only run the trailer battery down, and charge it up after it started.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    I have an enclosed trailer, stereo, heater, lighting, etc.

I'm unsure why my battery was a deal, but I'm glad I checked it before heading to the cabin.

All hooked up now (trailer) but not plugged in.

If someone was to leave a light on in my trailer, I could run truck batteries down; with an isolator, only run the trailer battery down, and charge it up after it started.
    Gotcha thought we were talking about regular trailers.

On my travel trailer, the previous owner set up solar power and used lithium-ion batteries, only 200 watts of solar, but it is more than enough to keep my fridge and lights when I don’t park it under shade.

Have to run the generator to keep the AC going, though.