Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  71
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newer Truck - 2015 RAM Cummins 71K?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Newer Truck - 2015 RAM Cummins 71K?

Hey, guys, I wondered if I could bounce something off from you all.

I have a 2012 Cummins with everything done to it in my sig line, and it has treated me alright.

It has 162k miles, which isn't much for these rigs.

I was cruising FB, and an ad came up for 2015 with 71k miles on it—a fully loaded rig.

I checked out the free carfax report, and something isn't jiving.

It has had three owners in 8 years with 21 service records, but some don't list what was done (oil change/tires rotating/etc.), and some are close together, like a month apart.

Should I stay away?

The problem is this rig is also almost 200 miles away (one way), so it isn't like I could go and check it out, you know?

Thoughts?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Twenty-one service records and three owners in 8 years?

I would pass on it.

It could be nothing is wrong, but then again, you don’t know if it had something significant happened to it.

Is this a private seller or a dealership?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It's currently at a (Chrysler/Dodge/RAM) dealership.

Most of the services were also done there (all but one); all were done at dealerships.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

5. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I just looked closer, and the 3rd owner is currently the dealership.

So technically, two owners in 8 years.

7. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I would call the dealership and ask them about the history of this truck and all that was repaired.

If all repairs were done at a dealership, they should have all the records in their system.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

9. Thanks rsl0311usmc, AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

Yeah, I second that as to what Watersupply said.

Make the dealer pull up every record if it was serviced at dealerships.

I will give you a perfect example of what I have dealt with over the past couple of weeks.

I got the wife a fully loaded RAM 3500 with 69k on it after trading in her Ford 160k on that one.

We looked at the carfax, and all service records only to find out the front main seal repair wasn't on the carfax, but the dealer had access to it from when it was serviced in Connecticut this past year by the previous owner, and the truck resides in NC now.

Now, after over 4 grand in repairs, covered under warranty by a GREAT dealership, she is all good.

Just go through everything, as these trucks are big purchases.

11. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Agree; check with the dealership to see if they are willing to share the details of service visits.

My 2014 had eleven safety recalls and one emissions recall since new, so if you count them, it had twelve dealership visits without any routine maintenance or warranty visits included.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

13. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Yeah, I second that as to what Watersupply said.

Make the dealer pull up every record if it was serviced at dealerships.

I will give you a perfect example of what I have dealt with over the past couple of weeks.

I got the wife a fully loaded RAM 3500 with 69k on it after trading in her Ford 160k on that one.

We looked at the carfax, and all service records only to find out the front main seal repair wasn't on the carfax, but the dealer had access to it from when it was serviced in Connecticut this past year by the previous owner, and the truck resides in NC now.

Now, after over 4 grand in repairs, covered under warranty by a GREAT dealership, she is all good.

Just go through everything, as these trucks are big purchases.
    Oh, I know these aren't cheap purchases, LOL.

In the last three years, I've dumped nearly $5k in repairs into my current rig (2 sets of calipers on the front!).

I called the dealer to ask about getting the service records, and they informed me there was a current deposit on it until Thursday, so they wouldn't release any info or send more pictures to me unless he turned the truck down.

Bummed, but no biggie.

I'll keep snooping around to see what deals I can find.

Thanks for all of the advice, guys.

Always cautious about buying used rigs, especially ones that cost big money to repair

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Re: Newer Truck - 2015 RAM Cummins 71K?

I just bought a 2018 from a dealer in Colorado.

The dealership was the third owner.

I flew out to look at the truck and made the deal.

I drove it back to Georgia, and it ran great.

I got ahold of Ray and did the weight loss, and it runs so much better, and I gained a few more MPGs.

I'm thrilled with the truck and highly recommend DRD!

16. Top Of Page | #10

Re: Newer Truck - 2015 RAM Cummins 71K?

Yeah, I will add something to my previous posts.

Even with the front main issue, I still got my wife the truck, which was well worth it.

Everything breaks and can be fixed.

17. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey, SyN thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast