Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  22

Thread: Combo Meter Backlit Illumination Failing?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Combo Meter Backlit Illumination Failing?

OK, only 53K miles, bought new, in some cold mornings when headed with the Jr motocross team to go racing when it was less than 5 yrs old, my tach illumination would flicker on and off, then as it warmed up, work fine.

I never bothered with it.

Now, my fuel gauge is dark and not coming back.

I'm not too fond of a dark dash.

Of course, these are all solder-in LEDs, I am sure.

Maybe a broken solder joint from vibration? (wishful thinking) or new LEDs are needed.

We have a speedometer shop in the next town, close to my work, and they have been doing these for 40 years.

I may have to have him redo it. I wouldn't mind the green backlit to match all my dash buttons.

Has anyone else run into this?

Did you fix it?

What did you do?

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Combo Meter Backlit Illumination Failing?

I am getting an estimate to get it fixed by a local place my employer has been dealing with for as long as I have worked there (at least 35 years).

I asked for an estimate; I can drop it off after work on my way home and pick it up when I'm done on my way home.

I am waiting for an estimate on backlight repair now.

Tacoma Speedometer

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

OK, mine is the only defective one in this group.

The repair place got back to me; this seems to be a common issue on the RAMS.

So, I'm pulling the combo meter out at the end of today (using a truck today), and my wife will drop it off (I drive past it to work, but too early), and then I can pick it up on my way home.

6. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Meter assy is out; wife drops off this AM after they open.

I will pick it up tonight if they get it done; no hurry; otherwise, pick it up another night.

I'll report back.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I picked up the meter assy last night on the way home from work, installed it, and it was done and all lit up nicely.

They replaced all LEDs.

Closed issue.

Cost was just $200 bucks

10. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Closed issue, reopened.

The tack backlighting flickers at the 2K to 5K area and spends most of the time dark now; speedo flickers also, even when warm.

Meter assy out, dropping off again after work for warranty repair.

12. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post