Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Not A Cummins But A Cool Diesel Truck!

1. Top Of Page | #1

Not A Cummins But A Cool Diesel Truck!

I got this gem from a neighbor who had been letting it sit for about eight years.

He said you can have it if you haul it out, but it doesn't run.

Well, at the time, I knew nothing about the J code 6.2 diesel except knowing they were in humvees in the USMC when I served.

So I towed it out through all the brush and pulled it up to the house while making my wife steer it with all the snake skins and spiders while I used her AEV Ram .

I ended up getting two new batteries in it and a starter because I found out thats why it wouldn't start, but now it does.

I have been working on it all week and have probably put 1k miles on it.

For the most part, changing all the fluids and fuel filters and putting freshly treated diesel was all it needed on top of the batteries and starter.

It's enjoyable to drive, and being a one-ton, the axles are monsters.

Of course, the truck is a 6.2 J code, all mechanical diesel, turbo 400 transmission, Dana 60 front kingpin, 4.56 gears, np208 transfer case, and a corporate 14 bolt entire float rear DETROIT LOCKER.

Now, she won't go anywhere fast (55 mph), but she is a blast to drive and will climb a wall and survive an EMP attack. LOL.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Not A Cummins But A Cool Diesel Truck!

Dang, I wish I could get that lucky and find a tinker toy to play with for free, LOL.

looks to be in good shape.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

I hounded him for years, LOL.

Honestly, I am shocked it's in the shape it's in.

There are only a few minor rust spots, but the frame and underside are in great shape.

I have a few minor wiring issues to sort, but headlights, water in fuel, and, all the major stuff is good.

The odometer on this truck is the original five digit, and some were replaced with a newer six digit from what I have been reading for higher mileage ones.

Now my neighbor and the guy who he bought it from that he is friends with swears the mileage is accurate at just 27k, which is hard to believe.

But then again, most probably spent more time idling than moving, and the brake and gas pedo don't look worn.

These things would roll over at a hundred thousand if they had the five-digit odometer.

It did come with, of all snakes, a copperhead that did a great job killing the mice and saving the truck.

I usually kill copperheads around here, but I saw him slither away when I was cleaning it up and thanked him for his service, and I told him to carry on

5. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

LOL, the snakes did their job.

27k could be correct; it sounds like it sat for most of its life.

Still a great find, though.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, AK Bob, rsl0311usmc liked this post