Thanks Thanks:  122
Likes Likes:  224
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heater Slow?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Heater Slow?

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    Is an HVAC air filter something aftermarket, or is that already in place, OEM?
    Some trucks come equipped from the factory with an HVAC filter, and some don’t.

There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason.

I had to install one on my truck. Check behind the glove box.

If you don’t have one, you can purchase the filter kit from @Geno's Garage.

They also have installation videos.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...lacement-parts

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Is an HVAC air filter something aftermarket, or is that already in place, OEM?
    Ram didn’t start putting those filters in until around mid or so 2016, if I’m not mistaken.

My truck is in early 2016, and mine didn’t come with one.

AK Bob sent a link to @Geno’s Garage that has the filters.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

So it sounds like now that I've gotten that filter ordered from @Geno's Garage (even though it's too late to help me here), my next step is to replace the heater core.

I'm not sure how easy that is, but it seems that's the next logical step, unfortunately.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

We have had three heater cores replaced.

The last two were a '18 and a '20 (I believe).

Both were replaced because they were full of crap (inside).

We tried flushing one of them with some purchased tools but ultimately took them to a garage we trust.

They were both $1800, if I remember correctly.

All three had the dash and front seats removed.

It's a bit of a job.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    We have had three heater cores replaced.

The last two were a '18 and a '20 (I believe).

Both were replaced because they were full of crap (inside).

We tried flushing one of them with some purchased tools but ultimately took them to a garage we trust.

They were both $1800, if I remember correctly.

All three had the dash and front seats removed.

It's a bit of a job.
    I don't mind the job *IF*; it's pretty straightforward (albeit time-consuming).

I can follow instructions for how to remove things, how to flush things, etc.

I'm not sure if special tools are needed for parts of it.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I don't mind the job *IF*; it's pretty straightforward (albeit time-consuming).

I can follow instructions for how to remove things, how to flush things, etc.

I'm not sure if special tools are needed for parts of it.
    There are several good videos on YouTube, on removal and installation of the heater core.

I found this two part video worth watching and has some good tips.

Edit: I recommend performing a complete system scan of all modules prior to tackling this job.

You may have trouble codes for the HVAC system that can be repaired while you have it removed and then rescan after installation.

Last edited by AK Bob; 11-07-2023 at 04:33 PM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks Corkey, 5001craig, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Replacing the heater core is a job but doable. I had to replace mine last year.

No special tools needed just time and don't be in a hurry.

A spare 9 volt battery is very helpful in checking all the actuators as you can check each one individually by un pluging them and checking them with some jumpers connected to the 9 volt.

Works awsome!!

I have a 2016. You will need to pop your ac line but no worries as it is not gas just oil and you don't loose much.

When done just reconnect and start truck when all back together you will probably not even have to add any.

Take out center console as that will help.

I did not remove my seats I just laid seats back and set dash on them.

Before you start put all adjustment nobs in off position and when checking movement of actuators remember to put them back to the position they were in,also dump radiator fluid all the way so as to not spill any on inside of truck when you pull it.

Heater core was not expensive $ 125 from Napa.

Installing the in cab filter is a good thing.

Mine didn't come with it so I installed one as my duck hunting partner sheads, female yellow lab.

My core was not full of hair it was clean.

I flushed one way and had great flow but when I changed flow direction it barely flowed.

I cut mine open to see what was clogging it and I got out black little beads about the size of a dime.

I got on line a did some research and talked with a few RAM mechanics
    that it is common with the hoat type radiator fluid that Ram uses.

That is what clogged mine.

You have a closed radiator system so that you will need a charging system kit, but they are not bad $ wise.

I will try to post a couple of links I have that were very helpful.

You'll save lots of $$$ by doing it yourself.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

14. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

The heater core is a job.

I suspect the noise you heard previously might have been a critter in the blower wheel.

When we did the dash, heater core, and evaporator in the 2001, we found several carcasses and a nesting.

Everything works well now.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

16. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Here are some links that were very helpful for pulling dash and testing the actuators.

I hope this helps you.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

18. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

One more item: you must put your radiator fluid back in. ASTRO

Pressure tester kit: https://www.amazon.com/Supercrazy-Un...a-872104776378

Here is a link on how to use it

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast