Thanks Thanks:  122
Likes Likes:  224
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heater Slow?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Heater Slow?

My AC works fine, but my heater only blows hot air very mildly/softly.

It still blows out hot air but barely blows.

I was looking at a blower fan/resistor replacement but I was wondering if the blower is the same for the AC as it is for the heater?

The cold works fine, so I'm trying to isolate the trouble.

I've checked the vents, and they seem to be opening/closing correctly, so I'm not sure what is next to check besides the blower(if the blower is heat-specific) components.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Heater Slow?

One blower is used for heating and cooling. Since you are getting good airflow when cooling, I would suspect that the heater blend door is almost closed and not moving, or the airflow through the core is restricted.

See attached for more information.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AK Bob; 11-05-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

On point as always @AK Bob.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So I am understanding that either:
    1. The heater core is somehow restricted and cannot be serviced and must be replaced or
    2. The heater blend door is almost closed and not moving

Is there any method for troubleshooting #2?

I am guessing that if this is not the case, then the core should be replaced.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    So I am understanding that either:
    1. The heater core is somehow restricted and cannot be serviced and must be replaced or
    2. The heater blend door is almost closed and not moving

Is there any method for troubleshooting #2?

I am guessing that if this is not the case, then the core should be replaced.
    I would recommend first scanning the body control module for trouble codes.

To check for the blend door position and possible airflow restriction of the heater core, an endoscope camera could be employed.

You must carefully drill some small holes in the ductwork and seal them afterward.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I did take a quick peek at the blend door position, and it seemed in the middle, which is unusual since when I use climate control, it's either full-blast cold or hot.

So I removed the actuator, checked the range of the doors (moving freely by hand), turned the A/C to cold, and reseated the actuator.

When I had the A/C blowing at 60, it was blowing full force, and when I turned it to MAX TEMP, it noticeably slowed down its force of air.

It sounded like it was blowing harder, but actually, less air was coming out.

The blend doors seemed to be moving from fully open to closed when visually inspecting the position of the white flap when changing temps.

11. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I did take a quick peek at the blend door position, and it seemed in the middle, which is unusual since when I use climate control, it's either full-blast cold or hot.

So I removed the actuator, checked the range of the doors (moving freely by hand), turned the A/C to cold, and reseated the actuator.

When I had the A/C blowing at 60, it was blowing full force, and when I turned it to MAX TEMP, it noticeably slowed down its force of air.

It sounded like it was blowing harder, but actually, less air was coming out.

The blend doors seemed to be moving from fully open to closed when visually inspecting the position of the white flap when changing temps.
    It sounds like your heater core may be blocked, which isn't allowing air to flow when you put it on full heat.

Dirt and debris can get onto the core and restrict airflow.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

13. Thanks jgruberman, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey, CrazyTrain liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    It sounds like your heater core may be blocked, which isn't allowing air to flow when you put it on full heat.

Dirt and debris can get onto the core and restrict airflow.

And as I understand it, the heater core isn't serviceable or clearable?

It needs to be replaced?

Come to think of it, a while back(maybe a year or so ago), there was a metallic whirring/rattling sound where if I hit the bottom of the dashboard, it would stop that metal whirring/rattling sound.

Also worth noting is that this heater issue has been happening for a while, so I would guess at least a year since I haven't used heat this season, only a few times.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

As I understand it, the heater core isn't serviceable or clearable.

It needs to be replaced?

Come to think of it, a while back(maybe a year or so ago), there was a metallic whirring/rattling sound where if I hit the bottom of the dashboard, it would stop that metal whirring/rattling sound.

Also worth noting is that this heater issue has been happening for a while, so I would guess at least a year since I haven't used heat this season, only a few times.
    No, it isn’t serviceable.

You could get lucky if it has debris in front of it to vacuum it out.

But most likely, if you didn’t have an HVAC air filter in place, dirt mixed with condensation over the years will make it like cement inside the fins.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

17. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, timshooter40 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    No, it isn’t serviceable.

You could get lucky if it has debris in front of it to vacuum it out.

But most likely, if you didn’t have an HVAC air filter in place, dirt mixed with condensation over the years will make it like cement inside the fins.

Is an HVAC air filter something aftermarket, or is that already in place, OEM?

19. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast