Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  33

Thread: Fix For The Dreaded ABS Service

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fix For The Dreaded ABS Service

I can confirm that fixing the brushes on the ABS motor has solved my abs/ traction control issue.

I followed what others did in fixing the motor but did some things differently, which might help the next person.

Here's what I did:
    1. Remove the inner fender liner.

2. Removed the two E8 torx screws (look up socket it's not common in my garage).

3. Pulled motor from abs module by hand.

4. Used compressed air to separate the housing from the motor through a little breather hole next to the white foam.

5. I checked to see if the brushes could move back and forth. They could not; they got stuck every time (I would say that's why the light would be intermittent because they would make contact for just a second and then lose the connection).

6. I used the Dremel tool to remove the plastic that held the brass bracket to the motor and removed the bracket from the motor.

7. I used sandpaper to remove enough material from the brush so it could slide more easily into its holder.

8. I lost the spring when I removed the little brass holder, so i got creative and took a pen with a spring in it, cut it down, and used that instead of the original.

9. I used a prick tool that had a 90-degree near the end, heated it with a torch, and melted a hole where i dremeled out the previous plastic part that held the brass holder in place.

10. Used small screws after i drilled out the melted hole to match the size of the holder.

11. I did not have nuts for the screws, so i opted for using solder, which may or may not hold, but i had to come up with something. So soldered the other end to keep the screws in place.

12. Did the same thing for the other holder.

13. Put the motor back in its housing

14. Used tappet feeler gauges that already had one bend in them. I used them to reinstall the motor into the ABS module. It's a royal pain because you have to depress the little plungers(?) All while pushing the motor back in. Once in, i made handles with wire to pull them out. A little trick i used was once I got it lined up and started to go in its position, I used a crowbar on the back of the little motor and the top of the shock bolt to pry against. It took me about four tries to get everything all lined up and seat the motor before i removed the feeler gauges.

15. Put liner back in wheel well.

16. Test drive for 50 miles, no lights, and no dinging.

I have now drove it over 150 miles without any alarms or dinging noise that would make you crazy.

I hope this helps.

I have attached several pictures to help see what i did; sorry, they aren't in order.

Good luck.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Thanks for the detailed write-up.

This information will help someone else tackling this job.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Excellent writeup!

Thanks for sharing.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, CrazyTrain, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I’ve been having the same stupid ABS problem as well.

I ended up just pulling the fuse.

It’s not ideal, but it works for now.

I’ll have to try your process eventually

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

To be fair, it was not my idea.

It was somebody else's, but I just wanted to share that it took around 3 hours to complete.

I'm not a mechanic; I just figured I couldn't hurt it if it didn't work.

The sad part is that the replacement part from a dealer is under engineering review, and folks on forums seemed to figure it out.

Maybe the engineers are trying to over-engineer a problem?

Just my .02.

9. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Re: Fix For The Dreaded ABS Service

Quote Originally Posted by My-4x4 View Post
    To be fair, it was not my idea.

It was somebody else's, but I just wanted to share that it took around 3 hours to complete.

I'm not a mechanic; I just figured I couldn't hurt it if it didn't work.

The sad part is that the replacement part from a dealer is under engineering review, and folks on forums seemed to figure it out.

Maybe the engineers are trying to over-engineer a problem?

Just my .02.
    They are more likely trying to engineer a "fix" to get them through the warranty period at the cheapest possible cost.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Re: Fix For The Dreaded ABS Service

I will be tackling this problem today!

I will update the results.

13. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post