Thanks Thanks:  115
Likes Likes:  150
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headlight Upgrades?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Headlight Upgrades?

I'm looking for suggestions for better headlights/fog lights for night driving.

Replace bulbs or the entire headlight assembly?

The truck is a stock 2018.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Headlight Upgrades?

Morimoto makes a good product for headlights, fog lights, and taillights.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Seeing you posted in the 4th gen area, I am thrilled with my Alpharex headlights.

They come on the newer 5th gens but are retrofitted in the older models as well.

For fog lights, I have gone with the typical Salvinia" might have spelled that wrong" to Oracal and haven't changed the Oracal's since installation.

Morimoto is a well-known company out there as well.

Fogs, you can also run single or dual-mounted pod lights if you want a different appearance.

The only thing I choose to do with my headlights is hard-wired them directly into the harness behind the lights.

Cummins seems to have a bad reputation regarding aftermarket connections to hold a solid connection, which can cause lights to flicker on or off.

I tried installing the anti-flicker bus kit, but no luck.

I have had 0 issues since the direct wire connection.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: Headlight upgrades

The factory headlights for sure leave a lot to be desired and there are tons of options out there.

You can get a new set of headlights from Alpharex or Morimoto.

Those are the only brands I'd go with other than OEM. You can also take your OEM set and do a retrofit.

That opens up a ton of options for different projectors. www.Retroshop.us is a good place to check out. www.theretrofitsource.com is also a good source.

The rabbit hole is deep. Haha. LED bulb replacements are good cheap option.

The route I went is HIDs. There will be people who like them and those who don't.

LED vs HID is a good discussion to search.

Aftermarket projectors out preform the OEM ones hands down. Lots of videos to show this.

I have the factory projector headlights. I chose to use a 50-watt HID kit for my low beams (projectors) and a 50-watt HID kit for my high beams. Both kits are Morimoto.

I wouldn't buy anything else, they are the best.

Factory bulbs and Factory HIDs are 35-watt, so bumping up to the 50-watt gives you a little more light output. The extra power will bleed the color a bit.

Meaning a 6k color light will look 5k with a 50-watt kit.

I run 3k color in my projectors and 6k in my high beams.

I went with HIDs because they are better for projectors, a little brighter, and color options.

I wanted yellow (3k) headlights. I get all of my lighting stuff from https://hidkitpros.com/

I have been buying stuff from them for ten years, and they have excellent customer service there and are very knowledgeable. Not an advertisement, I just valve good customer service and when I find one I will share.

For fog lights Diode Dynamics, Rigid, and Morimoto are my favorite brands.

I currently am running the Morimoto HXB 4 banger fog lights in yellow.

They are very bright and have a good light pattern.

There are a couple of options for wide or spot beams.

All of the companies offer beam options.

Everyone's yellow is a slightly different tone.

The HXB fog lights are almost brighter than my headlights.

I am very impressed with them; they are worth the money.

Retrofit, HIDs, and LEDs are all excellent options at the end of the day.

- Happy to be on the food chain at all…
    - Full-Medium-Speed

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Headlight Upgrades?

I purchased these Auxito LED bulbs for my 2016 RAM 3500 w/projector headlights.

I tried the other bulbs with the bigger fan base on the end, and the dust cover on the projector headlights wouldn’t fit to seal, so I chose these.

I’ve been running them for over a year and haven’t had any issues—excellent light output.

https://www.auxito.com/collections/9...pe%20Headlamps

6. Top Of Page | #6

Thanks to all for the replies.

There are many options out there, as I have found out in doing some research.

The truck looks like it has Halogen reflectors now.

I'm considering going with the Morimoto 4 banger amber fog lights and either the Morimoto XBs or the Alpharex Novas and hoping to take advantage of BF sales.

One question when switching from halogen over to LED: is there anything that needs to be recalibrated within the truck, or are the XBs and Novas truly plug-and-play?

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The Alpharex is a plug-and-play, but on newer rigs, regardless of lights, "if I recall correctly," you might have to plug a scan tool to tell the truck it has different lights.

I'm a novice when it comes to that portion.

I know your dash screen will pop up or could pop up stating your headlight might be out.

This is because fewer watts are pulled from the headlights, resulting in the notification being displayed.

Hopefully, someone can clarify that is correct.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    The Alpharex is a plug-and-play, but on newer rigs, regardless of lights, "if I recall correctly," you might have to plug a scan tool to tell the truck it has different lights.

I'm a novice when it comes to that portion.

I know your dash screen will pop up or could pop up stating your headlight might be out.

This is because fewer watts are pulled from the headlights, resulting in the notification being displayed.

Hopefully, someone can clarify that is correct.
    You are correct, Corkey.

If the OP doesn't have a scan tool, he could purchase CANbus adapters when ordering the lights to trick the computer into thinking it has halogen bulbs.

When I put HIDs in before the LEDs, I used two CANbus adapters for each side before the lights would work.

I'm not a fan of HID's. I had to replace the passenger side's ballast thrice in two years.

I decided on LED, and though they lit right up without the Canbus adapters, I left them connected just in case.

I've removed my headlights so often that I could do it blindfolded. LOL

Some trucks are really canBUS sensitive; unfortunately, my truck fits in that category.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have Morimoto's on my 2017 and Alpharx on my 2020.

Both are great headlight assemblies.

I also have the Morimoto LED fog lights, which also work great.

The Alpharx lights do a cool animation when you turn them on.

The only bummer is you can't see it from inside the truck.

If you tell them what you have, Morimoto and Alpharx provide the plug-and-play harness with the resistors needed to make them work.

Morimoto's customer service is excellent; when I had some cracking in my lens, they sent me a new set and paid shipping the old ones back.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

10. Top Of Page | #10

UPDATE: Emailed Morimoto and said they should be plug and play. Will report back after install.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast