Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: What Is The Best Upgrades For Better Fuel Mileage?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

What Is The Best Upgrades For Better Fuel Mileage?

2017 RAM HO 3500 Mega Vab 4x4 410 gear DRW 50 gal in bed fuel tank 90 hp tune.

If I stay under 70 mph with no load, the mileage is 16 to 17 mpg on hills and flat roads.

I live in the Ozarks.

The ram has 22,000 miles and a 4-inch exhaust full delete with straight exhaust.

DRD MM3 tune, Banks intake horn, Heater intake delete plate, Aisin transmission thermostat delete.

2. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey, SyN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: What Is The Best Upgrades For Better Fuel Mileage?

Sounds like you are doing well on MPG with your current setup.

You could gain a slight increase with a 3.73 ratio.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Brasher View Post
    2017 RAM HO 3500 Mega Vab 4x4 410 gear DRW 50 gal in bed fuel tank 90 hp tune.

If I stay under 70 mph with no load, the mileage is 16 to 17 mpg on hills and flat roads.

I live in the Ozarks.

The ram has 22,000 miles and a 4-inch exhaust full delete with straight exhaust.

DRD MM3 tune, Banks intake horn, Heater intake delete plate, Aisin transmission thermostat delete.
    With that gear, that sounds about right on MPG’s on hills and stuff.

Have you messed with the HP settings to see any better mileage?

I’m running my 2016 3500 at the 90hp and average unloaded city driving about 17-18 mpg.

Highway doing 70-75 mph I seen best at 22 mpg but that was on a 500-mile trip.

I don’t have an Aisin trans.

I have the G56.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

On mine, I have seen 20 with a pretty stiff tailwind on primarily flat terrain.

I suggest lighter shoes.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

8. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Unfortunately for you, you have the worst setup for mpg's

My dually never saw above 17.

Mine was a CC/HO, the extra wind resistance from the drw humps and the HO plus 4,10's and all the weight in the bed you're carrying; you should be happy with 17.

The thing is, it tows like a freight train.

Thats what you get a truck with that build for.

The only thing i can think of that will increase your MPG is taller tires 34 or 35's on that setup will net you a .5 to 1 mpg increase.

it will also effectively lower your gear ratio to around 3.92, removing some of your towing grunts.

i did 33's on my drw picked up maybe a .5 mpg.

I dropped to an SRW mc/so and can get 16.5 towing 8k at 75 mph.

I have 3.73s, tho.

Last edited by IndyRamMega; 12-02-2023 at 12:20 PM.
    21 2500 6.7 4x4 MC....Thuren Coils - Thuren Front & Rear TB's-Thuren FSB- Fox 2.0 Shocks - Amsoil Bypass - Fleece Coolant Bypass - S&B Intake - Banks Diff Cover - Ram Horn and Grid Heater Delete - BMP Fuel Filter Conversion - ARP 625's - Wagler Cam/Solid Lifter Conversion - Hardened Valve Seats - Billet Freeze Plugs - Manton Pushrods - DRD Tuned - Fuel 18 x 9 +1 Beast Wheels - Nitto Recon Graps - Power Stop Z36 Brakes - KLM Braided Brake Lines - Revmax Zero Flex VB and Deep Pan - ATS TB Delete - Baja Designs Fog Lights - Airlift 7500 Bags - Daystar Cradles - Dynatrac Ball Joints - Synergy DL/TR - 4.10's -