Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Suggestions?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo Suggestions?

I just ordered 90hp DDP injectors, II 33% CP3, and a BMP lift pump; I also got a deal on a 700hp 68RFE; I'm just waiting on the trans shop to pull it so I can buy it, so I’ll be ordering tunes in the next couple weeks.

I'm hoping to get the trans before I put it together.

I’m on a budget turbo-wise, but I could probably get a decent deal on a used sinister pit bull turbo or DIY a 63/64, or turbo time could build me a 67/67.

Any suggestions?

Mainly a grocery getter but does pull a few SXSs on a trailer that weighs over 9k empty occasionally.

I plan to keep the EB.

I rebuilt the turbo a few years ago with a billet wheel and a city diesel actuator.

Thanks for the help; I love the forum.

2013 2500 tradesman ccsb leveled 35’s 20x10 Tis 544’s 167k miles Raceme ultra with custom tuning, gutted factory intake, stainless intake ram, grid heater delete, exotic head studs, ddp 90hp injectors, II CP3, bmp 150gph lift pump,stock air, 5” turbo back with 8” tip, custom rear bumper, trifold bed cover, bd separator plate and sonnex shift kit in trans

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Suggestions?

You're rocking my similar setup; I just went the 2G route.

You will not be disappointed, LOL.

If you can, save some pennies; don't go cheap on turbos or fuel components.

Get a 64 VGT Cheetah, great little Tasmanian devil turbos.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks AK Bob, Rdchan98 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Rdchan98, J695 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks.

A 2g swap is out now, and the EB has only been turned off a few times in the 70k miles I’ve owned it, so I wouldn’t know what to do with myself without one, LOL.

I can’t justify a whole 2g and then another 1.5-2k to put an EB back on; I am staying VGT now.

I might build a 64/64 for now, and if I don’t like how it runs, I can always sell it to my brother and build his to a 64/67 or 67/67.

I’m sure Fleece knows more than I do, but it’s hard to convince myself that their knowledge is worth 2k plus the parts; I'm not worried about the warranty since I’ll find a reason to work on it even if there isn’t one, LOL.

I hope to get ahold of this sinister turbo on the marketplace, but we’ll see how that goes.

2013 2500 tradesman ccsb leveled 35’s 20x10 Tis 544’s 167k miles Raceme ultra with custom tuning, gutted factory intake, stainless intake ram, grid heater delete, exotic head studs, ddp 90hp injectors, II CP3, bmp 150gph lift pump,stock air, 5” turbo back with 8” tip, custom rear bumper, trifold bed cover, bd separator plate and sonnex shift kit in trans

6. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    You're rocking my similar setup; I just went the 2G route.

You will not be disappointed, LOL.

If you can, save some pennies; don't go cheap on turbos or fuel components.

Get a 64 VGT Cheetah, great little Tasmanian devil turbos.
    How well does yours tow, and what gearing do you have?

I’m still running 3.42s with 35s, so towing isn’t the best.

I can always use my dad's 08 1ton, but I’d rather still be able to tow with my truck if possible.

I’m wondering how the 90hp sticks will do when the time comes.

8. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Any towing that's going to be done, even the big man agrees, the VGT setups will perform better and less smoke.

The 60hp injectors I got from them also perform as expected.

What I would suggest is, if you at all are seeking more power down the road, go with bigger injectors.

The reason being, say you want to put a 64m cheetah in now and use the 90s, which are a little bigger, you can accommodate that to an extent with some wizardry help.

And down the road, you get a 67m cheetah; you already have the sticks to work with it, minus the needed wizardry stuff.

You'll enjoy your setup, no doubt.

II requires you to run new cross-over tubes to keep the warranty, just FYI.

Talk to Skyler and tell him I sent you; you will probably get a decent discount.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Any towing that's going to be done, even the big man agrees, the VGT setups will perform better and have less smoke.

The 60hp injectors I got from them also perform as expected.

What I would suggest is, if you at all are seeking more power down the road, go with bigger injectors.

The reason being, say you want to put a 64m cheetah in now and use the 90s, which are a little bigger, you can accommodate that to an extent with some wizardry help.

And down the road, you get a 67m cheetah; you already have the sticks to work with it, minus the needed wizardry stuff.

You'll enjoy your setup, no doubt.

II requires you to run new cross-over tubes to keep the warranty, just FYI.

Talk to Skyler and tell him I sent you; you will probably get a decent discount.
    Thanks, I already ordered the DDP Reman 90s and the II CP3; I also bought a cheaper set of tubes to be safe since it went down for a fuel issue anyway. I have been running Cat or Napa filters and ended up with water in the fuel, one injector didn’t clean up, and I have been chasing a fuel issue somewhere when towing for hours; it would start starving.

I didn’t know which pump was giving me the issues, and then the water took out an injector, so I decided to complete the build with it.

12. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So I couldn’t make a deal on the sinister pit bull, think I’m going to give turbo lab a chance with their 67/67. My next question is does the factory boost gauge quit at 40psi? And if so is there a way to swap sensors and get it to read any higher on my RM ultra, or do I need to just invest in a pair of factory matched gauges for low pressure fuel and a 60psi boost gauge? I’ll probably mount them on the steering column to keep the a pillar simple and for a cleaner look

14. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

See what AGP has if it's in your budget.

Tyler, who's the only machinist, does the T51R turbo mods on the compressor covers.

480-401-1515

My S464 is pretty loud LOL, I love the whistle sounds at any boost level.

For the gauges, the stock map sensor will only read 37lbs give or take.

You would need a bigger sensor to show higher boost numbers.

The issue, it's hard to tune with getting an accurate reading, and with MM3, it's not an option.

It was tested and had hiccups during trial.

Best and easiest way is to get pods for the pillar.

16. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

See what AGP has if it's in your budget.

Tyler, who's the only machinist, does the T51R turbo mods on the compressor covers.

480-401-1515

My S464 is pretty loud LOL, I love the whistle sounds at any boost level.

For the gauges, the stock map sensor will only read 37lbs give or take.

You would need a bigger sensor to show higher boost numbers.

The issue, it's hard to tune with getting an accurate reading, and with MM3, it's not an option.

It was tested and had hiccups during trial.

Best and easiest way is to get pods for the pillar.
    I’ll call them tomorrow and see what they quote me, I won’t need an actuator so it should be cheaper, but turbo lab seems to be quite a bit cheaper without the actuator and I believe it is t51-r too, I spoke with him years ago about building one, but I just rebuilt it at the time, he seemed to be a reasonable guy, I’ve heard good and bad about them but I figured I’d give them a chance. If AGP can compete though I’m open to giving them a shot. As far as boost sensors, mine has seen 42psi pushing hard with the ultra, no idea how accurate it was or if that’s when it completely quits reading but if I’m gonna be towing I’d like to know what it’s accurately doing so I guess it’s time for pod gauges

18. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

AGP has boughten, tested, and verified, that there T51R mod is substantially louder.

I don't do any social media, but they have vids up on YouTube, IG, and so on.

They also incorporate a double seal inlet\outlet off the turbo, which comes with an O-ring to help with leaks that the factory covers don't come with.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/afoXX9m79UQ

Wish the guy got on it a little more.

In person is a whole different story.

Last edited by Corkey; 11-28-2023 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Link

20. Thanks Rdchan98 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Rdchan98 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast