Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  39

Thread: Head Stud Choices?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Head Stud Choices?

Good day, everyone.

I am returning to a topic that's been talked about repeatedly, but I am looking for some fresh information.

I am looking into getting some head studs.

I'm looking at some ARP 625s, but then also the 425.

Then there is the Gator brand, which I don't know much about but hear the name come up often.

6.7L with 79k. I don't run it hard and don't drive my truck often, but it's going through some deep maintenance here in the coming weeks, finally. I have

(This is a daily driver that will be towing, and shortly, the point of all my upgrades is reliability.

The arm turbo is gone, power will be set to a tow level and stay there, and transmission will be done next summer; BBI injectors are also going in with the studs.

I'm undecided on which studs to get; with my setup, it can easily be in the 650-700hp range, but like I said, this is a reliable setup. If I need the power, it will be there, but there is no need for hot rodding from me.

I feel the 425s will be sufficient, but I'm a one-and-done type of guy, which has me thinking about the 625. MlnThen there is Gator, which I don't know much about.

Everyone's information and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatal

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I'm an overbuilt kind of guy.

I tow with mine and dont take it off the 30 tow tune as far as studs are concerned; ARP is the only choice

i went with 625's in case I ever wanted to remove the head again, as they dont stretch, so they can be reused.

The 425s technically are a one-and-done unit.

YMMV.

21 2500 6.7 4x4 MC....Thuren Coils - Thuren Front & Rear TB's-Thuren FSB- Fox 2.0 Shocks - Amsoil Bypass - Fleece Coolant Bypass - S&B Intake - Banks Diff Cover - Ram Horn and Grid Heater Delete - BMP Fuel Filter Conversion - ARP 625's - Wagler Cam/Solid Lifter Conversion - Hardened Valve Seats - Billet Freeze Plugs - Manton Pushrods - DRD Tuned - Fuel 18 x 9 +1 Beast Wheels - Nitto Recon Graps - Power Stop Z36 Brakes - KLM Braided Brake Lines - Revmax Zero Flex VB and Deep Pan - ATS TB Delete - Baja Designs Fog Lights - Airlift 7500 Bags - Daystar Cradles - Dynatrac Ball Joints - Synergy DL/TR - 4.10's -

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would say with a 700hp engine, this isn't the area to try to save $$, get the 625s, and be done with it.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have the 425s but a 64 instead of the 67-turbo setup with 60hp injectors.

I would love to dyno her to see exact hp & torque values.

If you're seeking +700hp, I wouldn't make it a towing rig, especially if you go with the non-VGT " 2g setup."

The VGT gives you the best of both worlds regarding an overall purpose turbo, great low-end spooling, and a moderate top-end.

2G's, you need bigger injectors to spool the S400 series turbos properly.

This calls for a decent amount of fuel " before boost occurs, " which is most often referred to as low boost fueling.

Once the turbo lights, you scale back the fuel trim to allow the turbo to do most of the work instead of the motor.

This is also why any boost leak can and will hinder performance.

The S400s will smoke a lot at your HP goals, and try to mix a primary towing rig into the goals.

You might consider sticking with the VGT setup and running a good turbo like a fleece cheetah.

It was probably the best customer service I've encountered with a warranty when I had my VGT setup.

Last edited by Corkey; 12-03-2023 at 07:30 PM. Reason: redneck spelling
    II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

5. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have never seen anyone complain about 625s.

Yes, they are more expensive, but not having to get back in there is worth it, IMO.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Agreed, they have a stronger tensile strength than the 425's, adding comfort to his idea regarding the 425's.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The VGT has been replaced with a fixed turbo.

I travel great distances to have a mechanical issue with a VGT.

Just not worth the risk.

I would have loved to have kept the VGT, but it is no longer an option.

625s will likely be the way I go.

As many have said, it's a no-brainer just seeing if there were some concrete reasons not to.

It would be nice to save a few dollars, but once I open up everything, injectors, etc., it's getting done right.

I'm not one to skip corners.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

For what its worth I'm running ARP 2000 headstuds, I haven't dyno'd my truck but it should be north of 700WHP.

I also ran a "200 HP" tune with stock head bolts for a long time before all the hard part upgrades you see below so maybe I'm not the most risk averse person.

That being said 625s are obviously the safer choice.

12. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post