Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  22

Thread: Aftermarket Bumper Spotlights to OEM Fogs?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Aftermarket Bumper Spotlights to OEM Fogs?

I am looking to install an aftermarket bumper that has two 18w spotlight pods.

Can they wire directly to the fog lights, or do I need to wire them separately?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Aftermarket Bumper Spotlights to OEM Fogs?

I recommend wiring them separately off the battery with a switch and N.O. relay controlled by accessory power.

The BCM monitors the fog lamp circuit, looking for the correct, current draw, and will indicate trouble if it senses above or below the programmed threshold.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Can I turn off any fog light current draw checks with AlfaODB?

I know it can disable and enable many features, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

6. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    Can I turn off any fog light current draw checks with AlfaODB?

I know it can disable and enable many features, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    I am not sure you can turn off the current monitoring completely with AlfaOBD; switch between LED and filament lamps.

If you have fog lamps installed in your original bumper, you could measure the current draw of one light and compare it with the current draw of one spotlight pod.

If they are close, try unplugging the fog and temporary wires in the spots to see if you get errors or warnings.

Last edited by AK Bob; 01-06-2024 at 11:21 PM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I am not sure you can turn off the current monitoring completely with AlfaOBD; switch between LED and filament lamps.

If you have fog lamps installed in your original bumper, you could measure the current draw of one light and compare it with the current draw of one spotlight pod.

If they are close, try unplugging the fog and temporary wires in the spots to see if you get errors or warnings.
    Per this article (https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg.../ramhdlcpu.pdf), it seems 12.1 amps is the max allowable current for the fogs.

Currently, I have LEDs installed in the slot without issue.

The watts of the spotlights say 18W, which at 12v is 1.5A according to an online calc.

I'm not great with circuits, but I will see what happens and post back.

10. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It should be fine.

I have replaced my OEM fogs for a cube light and with no errors.

It might be ignorance is bliss.

2018 srw 3500

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Changing to LED lights doesn't cause any issues in a 2012.

2012 Laramie Longhorn 3500 shortbox 4x4, molten red, tonneau cover, Reese Under bed hitch rails, Leveled, Firestone Ride Rite bags, Ultimate Transmission valve body and deep pan, DRD Tunes on MM3, BBI 0.75s, ARP625s, Monster Ram with heater relocate, high flow boost tubes, HTT 63.5/64 VGT, AFE intake with cold air, SSI steering box brace, SSI adjustable track bar, Moog drag link and tie rod, Brake Performance dimpled and slotted rotors and pads. It's not broke yet so I need more parts.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post