Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Winter Fun!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Winter Fun!

I was impressed with my truck as parts of Michigan got nailed with a snowstorm this past weekend; I am saying it lightly, as my area got anywhere from 12 to 19" of snow.

On top of that, a massive temperature drop makes salt useless.

On my way back from running an errand, I saw two trucks (well, 1.5, one was a 2wd 1996 Ford Ranger) that got stuck in the snow when one lost control.

So, they both ditched their trucks to avoid hitting one another, and I pulled the Ranger out first (he was hardly stuck and most accessible to get to).

I hardly knew he was there; as I was doing this, an F150 stopped to pull out the other guy (2008-2012 Chevy 1500).

He was buried a reasonable distance off the road, and the F150 didn't have the weight to pull him out entirely (there was a mild incline to get back up to the road).

So, they unhooked, and I flipped around and hooked up my truck.

Put her in 4LO and just walked him out of the ditch.

The roads aren't really "roadie", more so ice with patches of road here and there.

I unhooked him, shook his hand (after we both slipped walking on the ice, LOL), and went on our way.

After driving, I looked at my MM3 screen and started chuckling.

Not only did INOT roll any coal, but my turbo hardly worked as well! (went UP to 10 psi of boost LOL).

The transmission temp went up a little, which isn't saying much since it went UP to 100*.

That will tell you how cold it is.

I drove 1.5 hours in 4 hi, and my trans temp was MAYBE 80*.

Driving around in this crap weather, and this truck stays planted to the road/ice the entire way!

Fellow winter drivers, stay safe out there!

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Winter Fun!

I have zero clue why that got posted like a haiku, LOL.

That was laid out in 2 paragraphs.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

3. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Winter Fun!

Diesel 4WDs do great; the massive weight over the front axle plants these trucks down.

You dont realize how heavy it is till you try jacking up the front axle.

According to the scale, I added goodies with my toolbox in bed, and with a full tank, my truck is around 8,200 lbs.

I think the stock was around 7800 lbs.

I'd bet 3/4 of that weight is closer to the front axle.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post