Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: AGM Battery Charging Setting With CTEK?

1. Top Of Page | #1

AGM Battery Charging Setting With CTEK?

Hello all, I have replaced the factory Mopar batteries that died on me last fall with DieHard H7 AGM batteries with 850CCA each.

I use CTEK 7002 intelligent battery chargers for my other toys, which sit during the winter and keep them ready to go just fine.

My question is, since my new batteries are AGM if I were to charge my truck with the CTEK, should I use the "AGM MODE," which charges at a higher voltage (14+), or should I use the charger on its "Normal" setting?

The sticker under the hood of my truck says don't charge over 12 nominal volts.

I'm worried about frying the electronics if the voltage goes too high.

I plan on having a quick charge cable hidden in the wheel well.

Thank you for any input.

2. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: AGM Battery Charging Setting With CTEK?

Use the AGM setting.

The nominal voltage describes the system, but the operating voltage will vary.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I agree with Bob, although I don't fully understand the scientific part LOL (although I would like to)

In my mind, I think of hooking a battery charger up to it the same way as the alternator charging the battery when the vehicle is running.

The alternator supplies roughly 14.5 (+/-) volts.

I don't see your battery charger supplying any differently to charge your batteries.

But now you have me curious.

I wonder how the alternator knows whether you have a lead acid or AGM battery installed.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Limited Tungsten Silver
    Proven Diesel <> Leveled 35s

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inline6c View Post
    I agree with Bob, although I don't fully understand the scientific part LOL (although I would like to)

In my mind, I think of hooking a battery charger up to it the same way as the alternator charging the battery when the vehicle is running.

The alternator supplies roughly 14.5 (+/-) volts.

I don't see your battery charger supplying any differently to charge your batteries.

But now you have me curious.

I wonder how the alternator knows whether you have a lead acid or AGM battery installed.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
    The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) monitors the battery voltage and can determine the current flow in and out of the battery.

This information is sent to the PCM.

This is why it's important to disconnect all battery power from the IBS when replacing your batteries, so it can clear the history and learn the new batteries.

See the attached theory of operation for the IBS.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.