Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Crankcase Venting?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Crankcase Venting?

I've read quite a few threads on CCV filter deletes etc.

I had read DRD's (or Igotacummins) post talking about how beneficial the turbo pulling vacuum on the CCV filter system is to prevent blowing seals etc.

There's a really detailed post somewhere on here that actually explains in detail how the CCV filter actually works.

Now the CCV filters are expensive but need fairly infrequent changing. I understand that many people want to get rid of the filter etc so there's no chance of sucking oil particles into the turbo.

But, they still have to deal with error codes, sensors etc. I know people route the vent down to frame rail to atmosphere etc.

So, I like the looks of the billet valve covers. G&R Diesel has a nice looking cover. It has spots to actually put the CCV sensors back on and prevent codes, and an oil baffle.

They also have a billet, o-ring block off for the CCV drain on the side of the block next to the CP3.

If having a vacuum pulled on the crankcase is beneficial I figure theres 3 options. Block off the CCV drain either way.

1) The vent line gets routed thru a baffled catch can back to the turbo. Stock style negative pressure is achieved but still kknda have oil gasses blowing into the intake.

2) Route the vent to a venturi welded into the downpipe like they do on race cars. Not stock, but oil gasses (if any) get blown into the exhaust and out the back

3) Route just a huge -12AN hose to atmosphere. No vacuum pulled on the crankcase, but maybe not needed at that point.

I have seen stories about guys having their catch cans or vent lines full of oil, but I'm not sure how thats happening unless theres some fairly crazy blow by and oil volume in the valve cover to begin with.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Crankcase Venting?

I took the internals out of a stock CCV filter and run a hose to the ground. Mine has been this way for 8 years

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

4. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Crankcase Venting?

Quote Originally Posted by J695 View Post
    I took the internals out of a stock CCV filter and run a hose to the ground. Mine has been this way for 8 years

Thats a long time. Good to hear. So no issues with seals then? And i assume you just capped off the turbo inlet?

6. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Crankcase Venting?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
    Thats a long time. Good to hear. So no issues with seals then? And i assume you just capped off the turbo inlet?

Yes I capped it off on the intake tube

8. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Crankcase Venting?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
    I've read quite a few threads on CCV filter deletes etc. I had read DRD's (or Igotacummins) post talking about how beneficial the turbo pulling vacuum on the CCV filter system is to prevent blowing seals etc. There's a really detailed post somewhere on here that actually explains in detail how the CCV filter actually works.

Now the CCV filters are expensive but need fairly infrequent changing. I understand that many people want to get rid of the filter etc so there's no chance of sucking oil particles into the turbo. But, they still have to deal with error codes, sensors etc. I know people route the vent down to frame rail to atmosphere etc.

So, I like the looks of the billet valve covers. G&R Diesel has a nice looking cover. It has spots to actually put the CCV sensors back on and prevent codes, and an oil baffle. They also have a billet, o-ring block off for the CCV drain on the side of the block next to the CP3.

If having a vacuum pulled on the crankcase is beneficial I figure theres 3 options. Block off the CCV drain either way.

1) The vent line gets routed thru a baffled catch can back to the turbo. Stock style negative pressure is achieved but still kknda have oil gasses blowing into the intake.

2) Route the vent to a venturi welded into the downpipe like they do on race cars. Not stock, but oil gasses (if any) get blown into the exhaust and out the back

3) Route just a huge -12AN hose to atmosphere. No vacuum pulled on the crankcase, but maybe not needed at that point.

I have seen stories about guys having their catch cans or vent lines full of oil, but I'm not sure how thats happening unless theres some fairly crazy blow by and oil volume in the valve cover to begin with.

Anyone have any experience with this?

In the absence of restriction like a CCV filter, I would not want a vacuum getting pulled on the crankcase vent. There's already positive pressure in the crankcase, adding a vacuum to the vent sounds like a recipe for excess oil in the intake.

I run a baffled beans diesel valve cover, ran to atmosphere with the oil return blocked off on the driver side of the block. I've never noticed oil loss on the dip stick.

10. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

Crankcase Venting?

Fair enough. From what I read it sounded like negative pressure to some degree was good either way. But our older diesels at work have all vented to atmosphere and run hard for couple hundred k so maybe they're on there only b/c of the CCV filters.

12. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Crankcase Venting?

See link below, post #1 is the detailed post about the CCV filter that you referenced.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...r-Removal-Safe

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, Mr. Goodbar thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, Mr. Goodbar liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Crankcase Venting?

I cut the internal filter out, capped it off at the intake tube as well.

No issues at all.

I order a small filter with a 90° elbow for the top of the valve cover.

I'll wash that filter maybe every 5 or 6 truck washes.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

16. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, J695, watersupply189 liked this post