Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Replacing A 68RFE TCM?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Replacing A 68RFE TCM?

I have a take-out 6.7L from a 2008.

I have the ECM (a CM2100A) but didn't get the TCM for the 68RFE.

I'm wondering if I can purchase an e-Bay TCM and plug that in and if a year-matched working TCM will work OK, or does it need to be matched to the ECM (I guess by a dealer)?

Or maybe there's a vendor I can provide my VIN to who can sell me a TCM that's programmed correctly.

I want to run this pretty much stand-alone as much as I can.

The engine/trans is out of a wreck, and I want to get it going in a swap.

RevMax seems to sell a TCM replacement / reprogrammed, but I don't know if buying one requires the VIN so that it's matched.

I could spring for the RevMax unit.

I'm unsure when I'll have funds to dive into the trans for a few $K of better parts since I'm on a slow-moving budget.

I could ask RevMax, but maybe someone here knows.

Thanks.

--km;

2. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Replacing A 68RFE TCM?

From my understanding, the 3rd Gens have separate modules, "ECM, TCM," which will work in my head as long as the part number is the same as the stock.

Revmax puts their tune on their TCMs, which, I think, would be very similar to ours.

If you're on a budget, I would buy the TCM and throw our tune into the TCM when funds are available.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Replacing A 68RFE TCM?

I recommend buying a TCM with a warranty and your VIN programmed into it.

I haven’t dealt with the company in the link below, but I would give them a call and explain your situation.

https://carcomputerexchange.com/dodg...rod_13927.html

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: Replacing A 68RFE TCM?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I recommend buying a TCM with a warranty and your VIN programmed into it.
    Thanks for that link and the idea.

I'd consider it if I came across a vendor like the one you linked to.

I wasn't sure if the VIN *had* to be programmed into the TCM.

I don't think anyone will warranty the TCM, though once I've explained that my project is a rats' nest of wires on the shop floor, I will cut off the TIPM and label it with masking tape and a Sharpie.

I know I'm taking quite a gamble at this point, however.

--kh;

8. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    From my understanding, the 3rd Gens have separate modules, "ECM, TCM," which will work in my head as long as the part number is the same as the stock.

Revmax puts their tune on their TCMs, which, I think, would be very similar to ours.

If you're on a budget, I would buy the TCM and throw our tune into the TCM when funds are available.
    Yes, for that year (2008), the PCM and TCM are 2 separate modules.

I was thinking of 2 routes: buying a TCM from a vendor (if the VIN has to be programmed, then get one from a vendor that can do it) or purchasing an eBay TCM and assuming it works as a stock unit later on work on some weight loss.

I'd be pretty content with stock power for now until maybe I'd gone through the trans.

I talked to Ray a year ago, but at that point, I hadn't had the courage or time to power on the PCM and see what it reads with AlfaODB. I've done that recently, so I know what the VIN, year, miles, etc., values are.

So SKIM and TCM seem to be the big issues I need to smooth out before I try to crank it over and see how it runs.

--kh;

10. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
    Yes, for that year (2008), the PCM and TCM are 2 separate modules.

I was thinking of 2 routes: buying a TCM from a vendor (if the VIN has to be programmed, then get one from a vendor that can do it) or purchasing an eBay TCM and assuming it works as a stock unit later on work on some weight loss.

I'd be pretty content with stock power for now until maybe I'd gone through the trans.

I talked to Ray a year ago, but at that point, I hadn't had the courage or time to power on the PCM and see what it reads with AlfaODB. I've done that recently, so I know what the VIN, year, miles, etc., values are.

So SKIM and TCM seem to be the big issues I need to smooth out before I try to crank it over and see how it runs.

--kh;
    Not to shun away from you're thread here.

When you need some tunes, you might look at the Plus membership.

It's free, and the best in the business has spread the knowledge.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

12. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post