Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: Finding A Small Exhaust Leak

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Finding A Small Exhaust Leak

It just started recently.

When the exhaust brake activates, I sometimes hear a very sad-sounding whistle/whine coming from the engine bay.

I checked all my ports & plugs, and I assume that since it happens with the exhaust brake, it has to be somewhere between the exhaust ports and the exhaust inlet to the primary (VGT turbo).

There is no carbon buildup anywhere, and with a VGT, I can't exactly have someone hit the accelerator pedal while looking at the motor.

I also checked the torque on all the exhaust manifold studs.

I have no idea where it could be, and it's embarrassing when I hear it because I know you can listen to it from far away.

I don't think it could be from the intermediate exhaust pipe that feeds the turbo, right?

I already checked all that, too.

I'm stumped.

Thanks for any bright ideas!

Edit* There is a small amount of carbon on the turbo blanket where the V band bolt is, but it's tight.

Maybe the downpipe has rattled out of alignment a bit?

Last edited by Cdiesel288; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:34 PM.
    '17 2500. FASS lift pump, 12mm CP3, 100% injectors, BD Screamer primary turbo w/ S480 atmo, ARP 625's, Hamilton valve springs & pushrods, Revmax 850 w/ low stall converter.

2. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Finding A Small Exhaust Leak

You could pressurize the exhaust system at the tailpipe with the engine off, then check for leaks with soapy water or a smoke machine.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    You could pressurize the exhaust system at the tailpipe with the engine off, then check for leaks with soapy water or a smoke machine.
    That's not a bad idea.

That's how we found them with gas engines, but I wasn't sure how the turbos would appreciate blocking off exhaust flow.

'17 2500. FASS lift pump, 12mm CP3, 100% injectors, BD Screamer primary turbo w/ S480 atmo, ARP 625's, Hamilton valve springs & pushrods, Revmax 850 w/ low stall converter.

6. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdiesel288 View Post
    That's not a bad idea.

That's how we found them with gas engines, but I wasn't sure how the turbos would appreciate blocking off exhaust flow.
    It won't be a problem with the turbo; you are pressuring the exhaust manifold via the tailpipe through the turbo's hot side.

Another option for leak detection in this video.

Last edited by AK Bob; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:59 PM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

My foot would come off the pedal somehow; my partner would have to change the skivvies and contact my homeowner's insurance for a claim, LOL.

High EGTs, low boost, and poor driving behaviors aren't all 6.0 Fords?

It's a great video, with the jokes aside.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

10. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    My foot would come off the pedal somehow; my partner would have to change the skivvies and contact my homeowner's insurance for a claim, LOL.

High EGTs, low boost, and poor driving behaviors aren't all 6.0 Fords?

It's a great video, with the jokes aside.
    I agree; my first suggestion is a safer method.

Another option involved idling a cold engine and spraying the exhaust with soapy water.

I prefer to check for leaks with the engine off.

12. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post