Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Delete?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Delete?

I have a 2018 RAM with 20k miles.

How common is the grid heater bolt issue?

Should I be concerned?

I did the wiggle test, and there was no issue there.

Also, if I remove it, will it throw a code?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Grid Heater Delete?

Remove it and opt for the Glacier Diesel unit.

It pulls the same power as the oem.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It's a hit-and-miss on specific rigs.

In my head, I'll take the reassurance that the bolt will never drop into the cylinder and delete it.

Most tuners will automatically turn off a code to be generated if you delete it.

If you live in a really cold climate, seek out the relocation intake horns by banks.

Plus, with it deleted, you won't be pulling amps on initial startups, which your charging system will enjoy.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

5. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mendozuh View Post

Should I be concerned?

I agree with the posts above.

It’s more for peace of mind to eliminate the possibility of catastrophic engine damage.

If you live in a cold climate, install a good aftermarket grid heater like the Glacier Diesel MegaFlow.

If you live in a warm climate, you don’t need the grid heater, but you can install an intake horn with a small screw in the heater; this will satisfy the PCM logic and avoid any grid heater-related trouble codes.

The other option is to have the grid heater trouble code programmed out.

Last edited by AK Bob; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:17 PM.
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I deleted mine a month ago, so don't let the grid heater cycle when I start it.

I live up north, but I don't drive the truck in the winter month since we didn't have much of a winter this year; I have been driving it, and I haven't got any check engine lights.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll look into the GD unit.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 17_cummins View Post
    I deleted mine a month ago, so don't let the grid heater cycle when I start it.

I live up north, but I don't drive the truck in the winter month since we didn't have much of a winter this year; I have been driving it, and I haven't got any check engine lights.
    Did you crank it on?

No issues?

I am in California currently but will be moving to Washington State soon.

With the colder months up there, I would benefit from the grid heater.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I agree with the posts above.

It’s more for peace of mind to eliminate the possibility of catastrophic engine damage.

If you live in a cold climate, install a good aftermarket grid heater like the Glacier Diesel MegaFlow.

If you live in a warm climate, you don’t need the grid heater, but you can install an intake horn with a small screw in the heater; this will satisfy the PCM logic and avoid any grid heater-related trouble codes.

The other option is to have the grid heater trouble code programmed out.
    I am planning on moving to Washington State, and it gets pretty cold up there.

I have read several people say a grid heater is not needed even when really cold, but I can't see any negatives to having one other than less strain on the batteries.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Did you crank it on?

No issues?

I am in California currently but will be moving to Washington State soon.

With the colder months up there, I would benefit from the grid heater.
    Yeah, there are no issues here, and I just started it without cycling the grid heater.

If you let it cycle the grid heater, it will give you a check engine light when you start it.

I have a slight rough idle at first but it goes away in 10-20 seconds and I can live with that.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Should I be concerned?

In November, I installed the GDP Air Boss grid delete and Mega-Flow TVM Grid Heater on my 2011.

I also installed their S-2 Intake manifold since I was working on it.

All three parts were of excellent quality, with good instructions, and were installed with no issues.

The bolt wasn't loose, but I wanted to be safe and get some increased airflow.

The TVM grid heater will also be installed on the factory intake, and you won't get a code with it installed.

I'm in Montana, so I wanted a grid heater, and theirs worked great all winter. I've seen a lot of posts that guys are running without a grid heater in colder climates with no issues, but I figure it can't hurt to have one when it's below zero.

2011 Ram 3500 SLT, 6.7 Cummins. 4.10 gears 68RFE Transmission. RaceMe Ultra with Warp Tuning by DRD, DDP Hooligan turbo, GDP Air Boss grid delete, S-2 Intake manifold and Mega-Flow TVM Grid Heater. 4 inch superlift lift kit with Bilstein shocks, dual steering stabilizer. 35x12.5x20 Toyo AT3s on black KMC XD795 wheels. Fender flares, N-Fab 6 step nerf bars.
    Honestly it's just a tow rig...

19. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast