Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Scouring The Internet For Wider Dually Wheels!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Scouring The Internet For Wider Dually Wheels!

So, I lifted my 2017 RAM 3500 DRW.

I need bigger tires now.

After hours of searching and talking with shops, it’s become apparent that nowadays, everyone wants rubber band tires on giant 20”+ wheels.

I can’t stand giant wheels on lifted trucks; I love having some side wall for flex and natural suspension, not to mention how much more aggressive it looks. At any rate,

I wanted to purchase a new 17” wheels + tire package, and I can buy the stock inner rear wheel, but you can buy 17”x6.5” wheels.

On top of that, if you did find wider 17” wheels, you’d need to find a compatible/similar inner rear wheel with an offset to make it all work.

Also, it would need several spacers to get it right.

So I’ve heard of many guys running pretty large tires on the stock 17”x6” wheel (at least on Duallys), and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

I need the bigger tires (for looks but also to reduce highway rpm), but I am worried the narrow stock wheels will reduce towing capacity or be unsafe in general.

Also, the use of spacers is not ideal. I do tow quite a bit with this rig, but nothing crazy heavy, usually under 10k.

I was looking at Toyos 35x11.5r17, which is an AT and would work well, but their site says they want an 8” wide wheel.

WTF do I do?

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Scouring The Internet For Wider Dually Wheels!

I'm in the same boat as you.

My research has led me to 255/80R17 or buy new wheels to run bigger tires.

You can install a spacer on the rear to keep bigger tires from rubbing, but I won't run them.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Scouring The Internet For Wider Dually Wheels!

I have been running 35x12.50x17 toyo AT3 on aftermarket rims on my dually for 4 years and haven't had a problem with them.

I also run a spacer on the duals, pull a 20k pound fifth wheel toy hauler every other weekend during the summer, and make a trip every year in November to Florida from Arkansas, pulling the same fifth wheel.

Just make sure you have a good spacer for the duals.

I switched to 20-inch aftermarket wheels and tires with no spacers (for a different look), and I'm running 35x12.50x20 Toyo AT3.

2019 RAM MEGACAB 4X4 (AISIN) 4.10 GEARS, 6.7 CUMMINS W/ DRD BETA TUNNING, KMC XD843 GRENADE WHEELS, CUSTOM WINDOW TINT, 50 GALLON TITAN TRAVEL TREKKER, AND S&B CAI

2018 GRAND DESIGN MOMENTUM 399TH WITH FULL BODY PAINT, AND SIDE PORCH.