Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleece Exhaust Stud Nut Backed Off?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Fleece Exhaust Stud Nut Backed Off?

Hey guys, today I was cleaning up my truck, and I just happened to look at the number 6 top exhaust stud nut, and it was backed off about halfway.

Now it's been a few thousand miles since I have torqued the bolts back down which I usually do every time I change the oil.

I am kinda shocked it backed off because I know I have torqued them at least three times before in the sequence Fleece recommends and with there torque spec which I gotta look back up unless someone knows it.

The bottom one was tight, and no others were lost to the touch.

My next question is, does anyone think the gasket may be shot, or should I pull it out, which I really don't want to?

I took a video with my phone and it appeared to look ok.

Here is a still shot of it and have any of you experienced this with these studs?

I know I spoke to Fleece before and they recommend torqueing them every oil change.

Oh and by the way I can't believe I didn't hear anything different or notice it running different.

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I had both stock exhaust bolts sheared off on the #1 cylinder three years ago.

It would make a high-pitched squeal when using the exhaust brake.

I left the original stock gasket in place, installed two new studs, and torqued to factory specifications (39 ft/lbs).

I haven’t had any problems or leaks since.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #3

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I had both stock exhaust bolts sheared off on the #1 cylinder three years ago.

It would make a high-pitched squeal when using the exhaust brake.

I left the original stock gasket in place, installed two new studs, and torqued to factory specifications (39 ft/lbs).

I haven't had any problems or leaks since.
    Okay, thanks.

It's funny you say that you heard a high-pitched squeal.

I swear, I heard something like that coming to an idle last night.

It sounded like a belt chirp, and then it was gone.

But then again, I am deaf in one ear, so there is that.

Would it still squeal like that with my second-gen turbo setup and not having an exhaust brake?

I swear it's also what I heard.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Okay, thanks.

It's funny you say that you heard a high-pitched squeal.

I swear, I heard something like that coming to an idle last night.

It sounded like a belt chirp, and then it was gone.

But then again, I am deaf in one ear, so there is that.

Would it still squeal like that with my second-gen turbo setup and not having an exhaust brake?

I swear it's also what I heard.
    I would think it's possible even without the exhaust brake.

Mine sounded like when you blow through two blades of grass between your fingers.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I would think it's possible even without the exhaust brake.

Mine sounded like when you blow through two blades of grass between your fingers.
    LOL, that must be an old-school term, but I know what you mean.

I can't complain things happen.

I am getting the old girl ready for hay season.

I don't think my Cummins likes me cheating with my daily driver, though.

9. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

If there is any gap between the face of the manifold and the head, you'll get a squeal sound.

Before I had the fleece stud kit, the stock hardware would back itself out constantly.

You would hear a very slight squeal at first, but it got much worse once the engine got to temperature and the manifold was hot.

I found soapy water in a bottle.

EGTs started creeping up higher and higher due to the lack of boost, so I popped the hood and started the process all over again.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

11. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    If there is any gap between the face of the manifold and the head, you'll get a squeal sound.

Before I had the fleece stud kit, the stock hardware would back itself out constantly.

Initially, you would hear a slight squeal, but it got much worse once the engine got to temperature and the manifold was hot.

I found soapy water in a bottle.

EGTs started creeping up higher and higher due to the lack of boost, so I popped the hood and started the process all over again.
    Hopefully, this back one isn't the start of an issue.

I am going to retorque everything today and make sure that the back stud is fully seated, and then time will tell.

I have thought my EGTs were a tad bit higher lately.

Btw I just got off the phone with Fleece, and they were very helpful.

They recommend taking the torque up to 55 ft lbs and I won't have anymore issues so that's what I am going to try.

Last edited by rsl0311usmc; 1 Week Ago at 09:30 AM.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

Re: Fleece Exhaust Stud Nut Backed Off?

So I just got done torquing everything to 55 ft-lbs, and I heated her and let her cool for a couple of hours and retorqued them again, and no change.

I took her for a brief drive and felt there may be a big difference in power.

I know the engine bay is not nearly as loud.

Now, when I go home soon and go up some mountains, I will give a report on it, which I bet is way better.

Now I swear, and could be wrong, that fleece raised the torque value since I did these on my truck from 40 ft-lbs to 55 ft-lbs unless I just looked in the wrong place.

All of mine needed to be torqued when I started today and found another loose one.

Hopefully, they stay tight now, and for anyone doing this job, this tool will help you out.

20240424_201639.jpg

14. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

It definitely had better EGTs by about 50 or even 100 degrees and boosted building better down in the low rpms.

Today after running it lastnight I may just triple check it.

Thanks for the help, everyone

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I had issues with the fleece studs backing off.

I went with Stage 8 locking fasteners to replace the studs.

https://www.stage8.com/product/6935b...ader-bolt-kit/

No more issues, so I figured I'd share.

Take care, team.

- Happy to be on the food chain at all…
    - Full-Medium-Speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast