Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Leveling / Lift Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Leveling / Lift Question

I ordered and installed a Bilstein 2.3" leveling kit a while back.

After installing it, I was disappointed that I was still 1" lower in the front.

So I went ahead and ordered 1" spacers even though I didn't want to compromise my newly found enjoyment of a softer ride.

I had already dished out the money for the level kit and didn't want to trash it and have to spend money on another at that time.

So, I guess my question is, if the front-end height on these trucks varies from truck to truck, how do you ensure that a lift or level kit you buy will be the correct height?

For example, if I were to buy a Carli 3.5" lift (not considering improved ride quality in this scenario), it says it lifts the front 3.25" and the rear .5-2".

Well, it took me 3.3" just to get my truck level, so now I've just spent $2600$ to raise the rear end up an inch, make myself not level again, and gain nothing in overall height.

Am I crazy and overthinking suspensions?

2017 Ram 2500 CCSB Bilstien Leveled, 35x13.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 20x12 Moto Metal MO792 -44 offset

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Leveling / Lift Question

I have a Thuren leveling kit, and their website explains things well.

Their kit raises the front end 2.75", and my truck sits just about dead nuts level.

According to their site, the variations depend on whether your truck is a 2500 or 3500 (it sits higher), diesel or gas, and your cab/bed combination.

My truck is a CCSB like yours, but a mega cab adds weight, and an extra cab loses weight, impacting how high the rear sits.

I can't speak much for the Carli, but if it's 3.25" front and 0.5" rear, that will give you the 2.75" difference that would make for a level truck.

I assume the rear comes with a softer spring, which would probably squat more as it breaks in, and maybe that would become closer to level as time rolls on.

Side note: If you put spacers on the front springs (making it a 3.3" lift) with those Bilsteins at the stock mounting points, they might now be too short for your truck.

Also, Thuren makes soft-ride rear coils that lower the height by 1/2".

I'm not sure if that'll help you or if it'll mess up your towing game.

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie, CC SB, Thuren leveling kit, Toyo AT3 37/12.5x18s, Method NV HDs, 4.10 AAM gears, Airlift bags/compressor