Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Questions About Future Proactive Steps On A 6.7L With 257?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Questions About Future Proactive Steps On A 6.7L With 257?

I have a new to me, 08, with 256k on the truck.

I am very familiar with the truck's history; it was documented and well-maintained before I took ownership of it.

Mods:
    • Weight loss with EFI Live
    • Upgraded Intercooler, Radiator, and, I believe, a 64mm turbo.
    • Injectors

It runs flawlessly. It sounds better than my 18 does, and I am having ZERO issues with it.

That said, with that kind of mileage, I am wondering about the future of the engine.

It has factory head bolts. I believe the head gasket and injectors are all in stock as well.

The question is, if I want to head stud this thing and replace rods and valve springs as well, should I pull the head and replace the gasket or just throw caution to the wind and do a one-at-a-time head stud install as well as replace injectors, springs, and rods?

Longevity is the goal.

The aftermarket turbo is pretty nice; I am not complaining about it, but I think I want life expectancy over power.

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Questions About Future Proactive Steps On A 6.7L With 257?

With the miles associated with the truck, "which isn't a lot," I would remove the head and resurface it just for the piece of mind that you only have to do this once.

Studs are really important.

Since it has EFI live, I assume studs would have been installed already if you were running at higher power levels.

Is it the fleece cheetah VGT turbo that's on it now?

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

4. Thanks AK Bob, Smoked, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Questions About Future Proactive Steps On A 6.7L With 257?

I believe it's a Stealth Turbo; it is non-VGT.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post