Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with turbo selection

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help with turbo selection

I'm considering upgrading my stock VGT turbo to a fixed one or a BD Screamer.

If it's not VGT, look at the iron horn s364sxe/80 .91AR or the S364SXE/80 1.0 AR.

The truck is still completely stocked as of now.

It has 85k miles, and its goal is to be a street dd and occasionally pull a trailer.

I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob, J695 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Help with turbo selection

I went with Industrial Injections 2 gen swap with their 33% CP3, 60hp injectors and a 165gph Fass.

Couldn't be happier with the decision.

When this turbo gives out, I'll swap the 64mm out for the 67mm and to the 10m CP3 with valves, spring and pushrods.

Also have the T51R turbo mod which is a machined compressor cover.

I like the aggressive loud spooling sound.

I went with AGP for the cover.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

4. Thanks Dustyb20 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, J695 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyb20 View Post

If it's not VGT, look at the iron horn s364sxe/80 .91AR or the S364SXE/80 1.0 AR.

It has 85k miles, and its goal is to be a street dd and occasionally pull a trailer.

Thanks!

I got rid of my VGT and went with a 364.5 so far so good haven't towed with it but not worried at all.

I see the VGT as a headache down the road so I just kept it simple .

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

6. Thanks Dustyb20 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I went with Industrial Injections 2 gen swap with their 33% CP3, 60hp injectors and a 165gph Fass.

Couldn't be happier with the decision.

When this turbo gives out, I'll swap the 64mm out for the 67mm and to the 10m CP3 with valves, spring and pushrods.

Also have the T51R turbo mod which is a machined compressor cover.

I like the aggressive loud spooling sound.

I went with AGP for the cover.
    I also thought about the second Gen swap after all the customizing I did I sat there many nights working on my truck and said heck I could have just done a second Gen swap. But already purchased everything so there was no turning back LOL.

Almost went with AGP and the T51R but went with BD setup saved me about 600 in shipping to my part of the country .

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Corkey, Dustyb20 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks!

You mentioned pulling a trailer occasionally. If it’s heavy, over 10K you will be better off with the BD Screamer. The VGT will spool quickly and keep up with the airflow demands, especially when running at higher elevations and will help to keep the EGT”s lower, plus you will have the benefit of the exhaust brake.

If you won’t be towing heavy, the non-VGT S364SXE turbo would be a great choice with stock CP3 and injectors or go with the second gen swap for future upgrades.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks Dustyb20, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes J695, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    You mentioned pulling a trailer occasionally. If it’s heavy, over 10K you will be better off with the BD Screamer. The VGT will spool quickly and keep up with the airflow demands, especially when running at higher elevations and will help to keep the EGT”s lower, plus you will have the benefit of the exhaust brake.

If you won’t be towing heavy, the non-VGT S364SXE turbo would be a great choice with stock CP3 and injectors or go with the second gen swap for future upgrades.
    If I go with the screamer, should I just go ahead and swap the actuator out with the city diesel one to prevent any future actuator issues, or does bd fix the issues that the holset has with it?

12. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

If I go with the screamer, should I just go ahead and swap the actuator out with the city diesel one to prevent any future actuator issues, or does bd fix the issues that the holset has with it?

I don’t know if BD modifies the OEM Holset actuator; you would need to contact them. Either way, the City Diesel would be a great option.

I have been running my City Diesel actuator for four years without issues.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Thanks Dustyb20 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Can one just bolt the BD in or will he need a tune?

16. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomoad View Post
    Can one just bolt the BD in or will he need a tune?
    I don’t believe tuning is necessary, but sometimes performance is better with a tune made specifically for a modded VGT. I recommend checking with your tuner.
    @Dustyb20 If you are going with a VGT, the Fleece Cheetah is another great choice worth looking into.

https://www.fleeceperformance.com/ch...l-cummins.html

Last edited by AK Bob; 1 Week Ago at 02:16 PM.

18. Thanks watersupply189, Dustyb20 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I've looked at that one as well.

Both it and BD have good reviews.

What baffles me is that they both use the holset actuator when knowing that it is a significant cause of issues and nothing about addressing its problems.

It would make sense to me to put a City's Diesel actuator from the factory.

It would look much more appealing than buying the turbo and then having to switch out an actuator on a brand-new turbo, so it's not an issue down the road.

That's just my 2 cents.

20. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast