Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2001 bottom end with a 2004.5 top end?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

2001 bottom end with a 2004.5 top end?

I have a 04.5 that I blew a rod threw the block. I found a 2001 block that is good to go with a good crank, pistons, and rods. I am wondering if my top end, such as my head, injectors and turbo etc. will work and bolt up to the 2001? Any help and suggestions I can get is much appreciated. Thanks

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

As far as I know, they are both the same. When Cummins went to the 24 valve, the only differences were the cams and heads. In this case, the 01 and 04 are both 24 valves. The 01 was not direct injection, while the 04 is and is common rail. That was a different head again. But should still work.

I would try to use the 2001 cam if you can, or buy a new one. There are all sorts of grinds. It won't mean beans for the electronics, but the truck will run better. If you can get away from the emmisions, please do.

My gut tells me it will bolt up. Just make sure you have the right head gaskets. That's one way of telling. See if the 01 gasket is different than the 04. It may have more or less steam holes or something, but I doubt ithe gaskets up in Rockauto.com just for the hell of it.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Commonrail head is different, but will bolt up. There are some small water passage modifications that need to be made. There are some good threads on CompD and CF I'll try to link tomorrow when I'm more awake

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I would ask a few more guys to make sure that the pistons are the right configuration for the injectors. Different years used different piston bowls and injector spray angles...mixing up the wrong parts can cause the injectors to cut holes into the pistons.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Last I knew, all 24V had the same pistons.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

03-04 and 04.5-07 have different spray angles as well. I believe the injectors on my vp truck are 150*. Are your CR pistons in good shape?

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Last I knew, all 24V had the same pistons.
    No they do not. Different piston bowls for different spray angles