Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering clunk/thud

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Steering clunk/thud

Not everytime but only when i turn left from center of the steering wheel (driving/sitting steering wheel straight then turning left) i here and feel a thud/clunk. I can sometimes hear it if it is quiet but i can feel it in the gas peddle too...? But it is ONLY turning left. Anybody heard of it or know anything?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

A steering "clunk" in two wheel drive trucks produced after 1993 can be traced to lube pushing out of the telescoping steering column parts into the rubber boot on the shaft. Squeezing the boot to push lube back into the splined area is a temporary cure for the "clunk." A replacement steering shaft/coupler is a long-term solution.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Check to see if that had the steering upgrade done on recall. I had that in my 08. It turned out there was a second recall on the first becuse mechanics were not installing the tie rods correctly. The 2nd one was because the ends were cracking when installed wrong. That was on 4 X 4's. RWD has a rack.

I have a shock clunk on the left of my 03 RWD I can't find. One of these days, I'll take the wheel off and go deeper.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC