Thanks Thanks:  90
Likes Likes:  245
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smeding Turbos Truly Are SH*T!

1. Top Of Page | #31

Smeding Turbos Truly Are SH*T!

So I spoke with Davey at Smeding to hear what they had to say, and it went as expected.

I will sum up the half-hour conversation.

Davey tried to defend Ricky in some of his email replies, and we went over what I was hearing.

I was told at one point I didn't reference a sound, and that's why I was told to run my truck until I corrected him and said no I specifically called and spoke with Ricky on the phone about the noise, and he said no don't run the truck if your hearing that.

So we got onto the make it suitable part.

They are willing to have the turbo shipped back and looked at free of charge to see if there is an issue.

We are at odds if there is an issue, of course.

I am convinced this turbo is on its way out; as I explained to Davey, you don't just develop a noise like that letting off the throttle and going from zero play to huge play and hearing contact with the left-to-right movement.

So I will pull it off myself when I get my new setup and take pictures and videos because I honestly believe it's hitting in the exhaust housing.

I mentioned a local shop that told me he has had several Smeding turbos blow up on his dyno in customer trucks.

One thing I found humorous is that Davey told me he has had customers contact him about rebuilding Force Induction turbos and another company that I find to be bulls**t.

I also brought up an issue I never mentioned on here about my downpipe making contact with my G56 bell housing and frame, with Ricky saying can you just hit it with a hammer to get it to work LOL.

Well, Davey said that's odd.

Does your transmission move up at all?

Maybe it's your transmission mount.

I will honestly attach photos of that BS I dealt with at one point.

So it boils down to running a crap turbo which I will not, and no refund because it's past 15 days.

I mean, 15 days, wow.

If any of you decide to go with Smeding, be forwarned, you get what you pay for.

2. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

This right here is them admitting some guilt about their product.

They are now willing to look into it, just because they are back peddling on the previous emails from the other associate.

You also have their eyes open with them, knowing if they don't at least look at the turbo, it could go south on them regardless of being out of the 15-day warranty.

Keep doing what you are doing; it's making progress, even though they haven't suggested a refund "YET."

Keep us in the loop; I think you'll get your money back still.

Or some agreement to be had.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

3. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #33

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    This right here is them admitting some guilt about their product.

They are now willing to look into it, just because they are back peddling on the previous emails from the other associate.

You also have their eyes open with them, knowing if they don't at least look at the turbo, it could go south on them regardless of being out of the 15-day warranty.

Keep doing what you are doing; it's making progress, even though they haven't suggested a refund "YET."

Keep us in the loop; I think you'll get your money back still.

Or some agreement to be had.
    Yeah, it seems they will only fix the turbo, and I honestly don't want it anymore.

It's funny he is a manager and said he has no way to refund me any money since it's past 15 days.

It's not worth me putting it back on with all the stories I have heard about them blowing up.

Knowing my luck, I would have to pull their intercooler off to get metal out or worse.

Definitely looking forward to my setup that's on the way.

I got a Steed Speed manifold, Stainless Diesel S467.7 5 blade, and Fleece manifold studs, and I even ordered new Stainless Diesel oil feed and drain lines.

If anybody wants to go with Smeding, go ahead; I don't plan to change a turbo constantly.

Smeding has lost me as a customer, and now I am doing what I should've done in the beginning and buying quality.

After all, I don't plan on getting another truck again in the scheme of things, so that I will put significant parts into it.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #34

Alright, so I finally had a chance to take off my Smeding turbo.

For the most part, everything was fine till I noticed a trail of oil down my down pipe when pulling the center cartridge from the turbo.

I made the mistake of taking a rag to the center cartridge.

However, even after I cleaned it, you can still see it weeping oil, which is why my exhaust had oil in it, even more so now since I have been only idling my truck while waiting for a new turbo and keeping my batteries charged.

Now I am no expert on turbos, but oil in my downpipe proves that Smeding is, like I said, S**t.

Anyway, on to bigger and better things.

The photo below had way more oil before I whipped it off

20230507_161526.jpg

7. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, Aboshan thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #35

I got my Stainless Diesel S467.7 five-blade turbo and Steed Speed manifold installed today, and wow, what a difference.

For one, you can hear it.

Another thing I noticed is that compared to the Smeding S464, this thing spools faster, which surprised me.

I think Smeding turbos have issues for sure after all of this.

The Stainless Diesel turbo is very high quality, which you can tell by looking at.

I am very, very happy with this setup.

I also can't leave Steed Speed out there manifold is top of the line.

Thanks again DDP for getting me hooked up with everything.

20230508_160515.jpg

9. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    I got my Stainless Diesel S467.7 five-blade turbo and Steed Speed manifold installed today, and wow, what a difference.

For one, you can hear it.

Another thing I noticed is that compared to the Smeding S464, this thing spools faster, which surprised me.

I think Smeding turbos have issues for sure after all of this.

The Stainless Diesel turbo is very high quality, which you can tell by looking at.

I am very, very happy with this setup.

I also can't leave Steed Speed out there manifold is top of the line.

Thanks again DDP for getting me hooked up with everything.

20230508_160515.jpg
    That looks good.

Glad you got it back on the road again.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

11. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, AK Bob, Corkey, CrazyTrain liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #37

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    That looks good.

Glad you got it back on the road again.

Thanks, man.

It had been killing me not being able to drive it.

Now I can pull my 30-foot flatbed and get hay.

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Thanks, man.

It had been killing me not being able to drive it.

Now I can pull my 30-foot flatbed and get hay.
    I hear ya brother!

Keep us informed on how it pulls with that load of hay having that new turbo.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

15. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, rsl0311usmc, CrazyTrain, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Sound clip inbound?

Glad your back at er.

Knock the built-up carbon off the pistons!

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

17. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #40

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I hear ya brother!

Keep us informed on how it pulls with that load of hay having that new turbo.

Yeah I can't wait to try it out.

This is the trailer I ended up getting because our hay guy screwed us over.

Long story but I helped the guy when he had emergency surgery and had no help.

He shook my hand and promised a certain price earlier in the year I won't post on here and then decided to go up in dollars per bail without 12 hours notice.

People shake your hand and give you there word nowadays only to screw you over.

Sorry for the rant but things and morals in this country are at an all time low and it's honestly sad.

But hey this Marine ain't scared to go into fields and pickup hay.

19. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast