Happy Saturday, folks; I'm hoping I'm not the only Californian that has worked through this problem.

There is a loophole that I've stumbled upon that I'm trying to take advantage of.

The plan is to establish an LLC out of Montana, into which I would transfer my truck's title, allowing me to register the truck there instead of in CA.

This has many benefits, but the one that matters the most to me is that I will no longer have to smog-check my truck.

The issue is that the truck would be registered in MT but garaged in CA.

This caused my insurance agent's head to explode because a vehicle was supposed to be insured in its registered state.

However, I don't live in MT, so I can't have a policy there.

Otherwise, people all over would shop for the cheapest insurance policy available regardless of their state.

I suspect they assume a vehicle is always registered where it is garaged and must be essentially the same, but there are companies all over that have a fleet of vehicles driven primarily in locations other than the company's base of operations.

I'm hoping someone out there has dealt with this problem.

The agency that provides this LLC/titling service says they are not qualified to make these recommendations.

Another agency says that I only need to add the LLC as an interested party to my existing policy, but my insurance provider didn't like that idea.

Thanks in advance for the help!