Thanks Thanks:  127
Likes Likes:  234
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Heater Slow?

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Heater Slow?

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    It sounds like the blend doors are not opening.

A common problem with our trucks.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4
    Could be the A/C evaporator is plugged up causing low air flow, see attached.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Could be the A/C evaporator is plugged up causing low air flow, see attached.
    Cleaning/inspecting the evaporator still requires removing all of the dash, I assume?

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    Cleaning/inspecting the evaporator still requires removing all of the dash, I assume?
    There are several videos on YouTube that show how to inspect and clean the evaporator coil.

See this one, for example.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    There are several videos on YouTube that show how to inspect and clean the evaporator coil. See this one, for example.

What I'm getting from this video is: "Bob showed me new tools I can buy!".

Thank you for the link; I will peek through the blower motor hole in a few days and report back.

I do have an endoscope, so it should be fairly hassle-free, being able to determine if the coil is dirty.

Perhaps that may also cause the excessive drainage of the evaporator I reported back over the summer; I have no idea.

8. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, my trip to Amazon was for nothing.

I pulled the blower motor down and use my phone to take a look at the condenser and while it has a bit of dust on it, it definitely does not appear to be in the airflow impedance range.

I did remove the Genos cabin air filter and it seems to maybe blow a little harder, but there is a ton of air flow that is being pulled by the motor because as soon as I opened up the door for the cabin air filter I felt a massive suction pulled back right away and sounded as though I was opening up a vacuum.

So I do believe there is air moving by the motor, I just don't know why it isn't coming out of the vents at any temperature now.

It does come through slightly, probably a bit more with the cabin air filter removed but is definitely still reduced air flow somewhere.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

9. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    Unfortunately, my trip to Amazon was for nothing.

I pulled the blower motor down and use my phone to take a look at the condenser and while it has a bit of dust on it, it definitely does not appear to be in the airflow impedance range.

I did remove the Genos cabin air filter and it seems to maybe blow a little harder, but there is a ton of air flow that is being pulled by the motor because as soon as I opened up the door for the cabin air filter I felt a massive suction pulled back right away and sounded as though I was opening up a vacuum.

So I do believe there is air moving by the motor, I just don't know why it isn't coming out of the vents at any temperature now.

It does come through slightly, probably a bit more with the cabin air filter removed but is definitely still reduced air flow somewhere.

Try using a vacuum but be careful not to damage the fins and see if it will clean up a bit.

It’s probably crusted hard like cement though.

To me it looks like it could be part of your issue.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Try using a vacuum, but be careful not to damage the fins and see if it will clean up a bit. It’s probably crusted hard like cement, though.
    To me, it looks like it could be part of your issue.

Interesting.

I will give it a try.

I did buy the Dremel and plastic welder to do the cleanout FULLY the way he did it in the video, but it just didn't appear as though it was necessary.

If you think so, though, I'll give it a go and see if I can find a flexible mini hose vac or something.

I can probably fudge something with a small flexible hose and connect it to the Dyson.

12. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

I agree; it looks to be between 30-40% plugged.

I would try cleaning and see if the airflow improves.

14. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

I was looking at that picture, and you found your problem.

The airflow through that evaporator is significantly restricted.

Your heater core probably looks about the same.

I know you don't want to do it, but if you would like your HVAC system to work as it should, you will have to pull the dash and remove and clean your evaporator and heater core.

If it were me and I had the dash out, I would install a new heater core and evaporator core while I had access.

They are not that expensive compared to the labor required to access them.

Anything else is a waste of your time.

I've been a full-time mechanic for over 20 years.

I've seen lots of evaporators that look just like that.

When you're done, for sure, put the aftermarket air filter back in there, and this will probably never happen again.

Replace the air filter every 20k miles or so.

16. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

I was able to clean it a bit by cutting a few holes and then welding them back together in the same video.

I wouldn't say it's fixed, but it's blowing better.

Aside from the amount of time it takes, I believe pulling the dash is relatively straightforward.

Is that right?

I think then the problem is replacing the core in the coil.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast