Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  35

Thread: I Finally Deleted The Grid Heater And Factory Intake Elbow!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

I Finally Deleted The Grid Heater And Factory Intake Elbow!

I deleted the grid heater recently.

My truck has just over 200k on it, and I've seen the horror videos of people having the nut fail inside the intake and destroy cyl 6.

Mine had no movement on the intake, but I did it for peace of mind.

I used an ICT billet intake plate and a Smeding Diesel intake elbow that I welded, drilled, and tapped for a coil-type heater.

It's not a very hard upgrade; in my opinion, it took me probably 3 hours.

As a bonus from the major increase in flow area, I've noticed an average 2mpg increase!

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone!

The parts are a couple hundred dollars and don't break the bank.

I wish I would have done this years ago!

2. Top Of Page | #2

3. Thanks AK Bob, bigboost, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I Finally Deleted The Grid Heater And Factory Intake Elbow!

I went through the same on my 2022 but with a Banks elbow/grid heater delete.

I'd prefer one like yours or the BMP one over the Banks, despite the Banks being easier on the eyes.

The installation was a pain.

Some dumb engineering choices were made on the Banks elbow.

The included fuel line didn't fit without modification, and whoever thought it was a good idea to fish a bolt down through the intake elbow with a magnet while risking it falling into the engine should be banned from designing any more parts.

I expected more from a company like Banks.

Collector of Oddball Vehicles
    2022 RAM 2500 Laramie - Tuned, Banks Horn, 5" Stainless
    2004 Ford Excursion Limited
    2015 Chevrolet Caprice PPV - 6.0 LS - TSP Stage 2 LS3 Cam - E85 - 430whp
    1995 Toyota Supra - Built 3.0, T56 Magnum, 8.8" - 1074whp
    1994 Suzuki Samurai - Tracker 1.6 8v - 6.5:1 Tcase - 5.13 Gears on 35s

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: I Finally Deleted The Grid Heater And Factory Intake Elbow!

Well, this helps me decide about the Banks and the Pusher setup.

I was torn between the two, and with Banks claiming better CFM, I was leaning towards them, but with your installation issues @bigboost I think my mind is made up.

Thx

2018 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L. 68RFE with REMAX Valve body/Thermal bypass. PPE Transmission pan. MM3 tuner and 4" turbo back pipes with AFE CAI. PPE front diff/Banks back diff. 20"Moto Metal wheels and 35" tires.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

With the Banks horn, if you put the Allen head with the bolt through with a long extension to start a couple of threads and then align the horn that way, it'll help reduce the bolt falling down the intake.

Did I follow this, LOL, no.

An old member had suggested a while back and forgot all about it.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

7. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

That's the cost of getting that bolt installed.....the other intakes just leave that bolt out....the banks elbow is by far the best horn out there....I've installed half a dozen of them and never an issue with the fuel line.... nobody's quality control is as good as banks.....

21 2500 6.7 4x4 MC....Thuren Coils - Thuren Front & Rear TB's-Thuren FSB- Fox 2.0 Shocks - Amsoil Bypass - Fleece Coolant Bypass - S&B Intake - Banks Diff Cover - Ram Horn and Grid Heater Delete - BMP Fuel Filter Conversion - ARP 625's - Wagler Cam/Solid Lifter Conversion - Hardened Valve Seats - Billet Freeze Plugs - Manton Pushrods - DRD Tuned - Fuel 18 x 9 +1 Beast Wheels - Nitto Recon Graps - Power Stop Z36 Brakes - KLM Braided Brake Lines - Revmax Zero Flex VB and Deep Pan - ATS TB Delete - Baja Designs Fog Lights - Airlift 7500 Bags - Daystar Cradles - Dynatrac Ball Joints - Synergy DL/TR - 4.10's -

9. Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRamMega View Post
    That's the cost of getting that bolt installed.....the other intakes just leave that bolt out....the banks elbow is by far the best horn out there....I've installed half a dozen of them and never an issue with the fuel line.... nobody's quality control is as good as banks.....
    Certainly, banks has the upscale pricing down pat.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

11. Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Certainly, banks has the upscale pricing down pat.
    If ya got it....ya got it....

21 2500 6.7 4x4 MC....Thuren Coils - Thuren Front & Rear TB's-Thuren FSB- Fox 2.0 Shocks - Amsoil Bypass - Fleece Coolant Bypass - S&B Intake - Banks Diff Cover - Ram Horn and Grid Heater Delete - BMP Fuel Filter Conversion - ARP 625's - Wagler Cam/Solid Lifter Conversion - Hardened Valve Seats - Billet Freeze Plugs - Manton Pushrods - DRD Tuned - Fuel 18 x 9 +1 Beast Wheels - Nitto Recon Graps - Power Stop Z36 Brakes - KLM Braided Brake Lines - Revmax Zero Flex VB and Deep Pan - ATS TB Delete - Baja Designs Fog Lights - Airlift 7500 Bags - Daystar Cradles - Dynatrac Ball Joints - Synergy DL/TR - 4.10's -

13. Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRamMega View Post
    The install wasn't the worst thing I've done by any means, it's on the truck and working fine, but for what they're charging, I consider it pretty laughable.

That bolt is completely irrelevant and should be left outside the flange like every other brand. There is a reason why Banks claims flow % numbers instead of actual horsepower gains. The absolute miniscule(if any) gain by having that bolt on the INSIDE of an intake plenum is far outweighed by the likelihood of it falling/backing out and having to remove the horn to fish it out.

Wasted more time trying to get it aligned due to their included fuel line not clearing the horn, nothing a tube bender couldn't solve though.

I know a lot of people like Banks, which is why I went with them in the first place to be honest, but my take is, there is no reason to spend 40% more on the Banks horn than the other offerings unless you just want the most aesthetically pleasing one.

Collector of Oddball Vehicles
    2022 RAM 2500 Laramie - Tuned, Banks Horn, 5" Stainless
    2004 Ford Excursion Limited
    2015 Chevrolet Caprice PPV - 6.0 LS - TSP Stage 2 LS3 Cam - E85 - 430whp
    1995 Toyota Supra - Built 3.0, T56 Magnum, 8.8" - 1074whp
    1994 Suzuki Samurai - Tracker 1.6 8v - 6.5:1 Tcase - 5.13 Gears on 35s

15. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, CrazyTrain liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

That banks horn is very pricey at almost 1000k. I was on the fence about getting it, but I think I’m going to get banks 42788 instead. It’s half the price and eliminates the need for a block off plate for the egr.

17. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, CrazyTrain liked this post