What started to be a simple injector install has turned into a nightmare.

I installed a FASS with a Sump the day before the injector worked, and there were no issues.

The truck ran fine, so I went and topped off the tank and put it in the shop for the injectors the next day.

On day 2, I started the injector replacement and removed the valve cover to make it easier to work on.

I removed the fuel and fuel rail body and cleaned everything with air and brake cleaner.

I started removing the rockers, both intake and exhaust.

When taking off the #6 rocker assembly (the last one), I heard a "tick" sound and"something hitting the concrete floor.

I was WTF heck and noticed the cup to the exhaust rocker at my feet.

The plastic body had broken off; it was no big deal.

I have read many instances of these things happening.

Finish the injector installation, new feed tubes, and torque everything back to spec.

I take a lot of time with this process to get things right.

I start putting the rocker arms back on and notice the number 6 exhaust rocker arm is way loose after torquing it down, to the point that I can remove the cup and the bridge.

I repositioned those items and figured I would address it when I got to do the valve lash.

Finish getting the rest of the rockers in place and moved on.

What happens next is what I call the Swiss cheese model.

I rotated the engine a few turns with a barring tool to start the lash.

The #6 rocker is nice and snug on the bridge) and got pulled away from the truck to do some other things.

The family needed some stuff done that required my time and attention.

A few hours later, my mind was not on the truck.

I returned to it thinking the lash was good before all this; I put everything back in the correct order.

I'm not concerned with the lash; I need to get this thing running to check it off the box before I leave for work in the morning.

DON'T EVER DO THIS!

I went to fire the truck up, and it sounded like total metal pinging, rough knocking, etc.

Shut it off within 5 seconds and was l like damn it.

I called a buddy and told him what was going on.

He said they sound like crap after all that you have done, start it and let it run some more and see if it sorts itself out.

Start number 2 was just as bad, if not worse.

I shut it off within a few seconds because, DAMN.

Start #3 battery craps out, and I smell an electrical burning smell, very minor, but it's there.

So now I am in total WTF mode.

I knew it needed batteries sooner rather than later.

I got two new AGM batteries, and the truck will not even start.

It turns over with a loping sound during the starting sequence but will not fire.

Initially, I was not even sure WTF was going on, hindsight now tells me, I am a complete idiot, got rushed, and should have addressed the #6 rocker bridge.

The FASS system runs but makes an extraordinary noise (I get fuel to the rail).

I think the final crank and the battery cratering might have fried the relay on the fuel pump, but it is easy to check and fix (why it will not fire, and I am glad it didn't.

Now, the BIG question I am wondering is how badly I cratered this engine.

I stepped away after several no-starts late in the evening and was like screw it; I will look at it when I get home on Monday (this all happened late Friday night).

I'm sitting here at work wondering what that loose bridge and cup coming off of that arm could have done to the internals.

I am seeking some guidance from you fine folks here on how to look into all of this.

I know, I know, valve lash, valve lash, valve lash.

I am wondering about the case scenario versus the best case.

I know the engine turns over freely by cranking and barring tools.

The FASS thing is pretty simple.

I have an extra one; it is easy to swap if it comes down to it.

The rocker bridge, though.

Damn, I wish I would have been focused.

End of the day, DO NOT BE ME.

Take your time, put your head in the game, and learn from your mistakes.

When I get home tomorrow morning, I will pull the valve cover, see my fate, and keep you posted.

Sorry for the long rant; I hope SOMEONE learns from my lack of attention to detail.