Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: 2012 6.7 Grid Heater gaskets?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 6.7 Grid Heater gaskets?

Hey all,

I'm going to be deleting my truck here in a week or so and I figure I should pull the grid heater and clean it at the same time. An aftermarket heater is out of the question for me at the moment. I'm curios if the intake horn gasket is the same size as the gasket which goes under the heater...?

I'm looking at one from BCDiesel https://www.bcdiesel.ca/en/cummins-o...odge-2007-2017

I'm looking at another for less than a quarter of the price from Geno's Garage as well.

To pull/reinstall the grid heater I will need two of these gaskets, correct?

Thanks EH?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 6.7 Grid Heater gaskets?

You need one gasket for the plenum and one gasket for the air horn. The Plenum gasket is metal so be careful not to kink it. From experience, remove all the lines and fuel rail. If you short cut, you may have a boost leak later. I learned that a long time ago. Even with my skills.

It also helps if you coat the metal gasket with a very thin layer of Black RTV and let it cure for a while. I would coat it when you start disassembly.

Remember to clean your sensors too

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks CanDiesel, walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

So we are talking two different gaskets? Or are you saying the plenum gasket is metal and reusable?

Remove the fuel rail? O.o I clearly underestimated the work required here. Going to have a closer look when I get home from work, in a week..

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I've since read a how to on deleting the grid heater which gave me enough info for simply pulling it for a cleaning. Its a much more involved project than I thought. I think ill wait until the delete is up and running and I get some fluids changed before I tackle it... I'm also considering returning the throttle body delete I got because honestly, for the amount of effort to clean the grid heater I might as well just delete it and get an inline unit.

For anyone that stumbles across this thread wondering about the gasket, it looks like people commonly reuse the metal gasket under the grid heater but replace the one on the air horn.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Good to know. Thanks!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post