Thanks Thanks:  297
Likes Likes:  586
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: My Cabin Property On 40 Acres

1. Top Of Page | #111

User Info Menu

Re: My Cabin Property On 40 Acres

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #112

User Info Menu

Ok back from cabin run.

Nice weather, did a few small projects.

Dinner first night, having power, used crock pot, make a nice hearty beef stew.

New campsite for camp-host (good pal of mine)

Site from back, more tractor grooming and gravel needed, bring my Kubota up next spring.

30A RV hookup

Camp hose site signage

Pal in site 1 was a Mercedes Benz chassis with the 3.0 diesel, same one used in the RAM 1500 eco diesel

Site 2 was a Airstream 39.6 foot on a Freightliner chassis, full air brakes, cat diesel pusher 3126

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Top Of Page | #113

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    Ok back from cabin run.

Nice weather, did a few small projects.

Dinner first night, having power, used crock pot, make a nice hearty beef stew.

New campsite for camp-host (good pal of mine)

Site from back, more tractor grooming and gravel needed, bring my Kubota up next spring.

30A RV hookup

Camp hose site signage

Pal in site 1 was a Mercedes Benz chassis with the 3.0 diesel, same one used in the RAM 1500 eco diesel

Site 2 was a Airstream 39.6 foot on a Freightliner chassis, full air brakes, cat diesel pusher 3126

Good deal on the Dodge.

Nice work on the property as well.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

5. Top Of Page | #114

User Info Menu

OK, I headed back to the Ranch Friday.

Spoke to a local well guy.

Have a well on the place, but it was equipped with a solar well and livestock well set up.

Well, bit the bullet, and he is going to be at the property about the same time I show up and is going to install my pitless adapter, new 220VAC well pump, and pressure tank inside the well, plus a frost-free hydrant/hose bib.

All for a mere $9200.

A pitless adapter allows the water to exit the well through the side of the well casing below the front line (4 feet deep) and then off to wherever (in my case, a free hydrant)

The lush green pine grass in prior photos should all be a golden yellow color this trip.

The family all shows up, it's a huge weekend for a very large rodeo (Omak Stampede), and they will all take off Monday morning; I am staying behind for the rest of the week.

This will be my last trip this year so that I will close it up tight after this trip.

I said getting power in was a game-changer for the place; well, this is game-changer 2.0.

Omak Stamped

6. Top Of Page | #115

User Info Menu

OK, I got in at 10:30 on Thursday; what a fun time with family and super productive work on the well.

It was all trimmed out: pressure tank, in good bladder, soft start controller, all Grundfos stuff, and pitless adapter.

I added a service disconnect with the breaker on a 6X6 post, painted it all forest service brown, added an old wash tub for a splash guard, drilled large holes in the bottom, filled it with drain rock, and frost-free hydrant.

I painted my front and back gates to look like Forest Service, i.e., Rustoleum Spring Green, and then painted post-USFS brown.

I bought a new 17" Blackstone griddle for the shelter, had my trusty icemaker going, and my family headed out Monday; I stayed till Thursday with lots of work.

Now, all closed up for winter, all buried in about 3 feet of snow in 4 months.

Front gate, painted after testing paint on back gate. Like the results so much, zipped into town (1.5 hour round trip) and bought the last 4 cans of paint they had

Below is the back 20-acre gate.

Added roofs over electrical and electronics. Well gear is all Grundfos, well driller said pump will last my life. Soft start controller is slick too, mounted on post, spendy gear, $1300 for controller, $2500 for well pump. I have no idea how much the air bladder inside well shaft would cost. All stainless steel. Well pipe was 1" PVC with metal couplers on the end, 20 foot sections.

Splash guard made from old wash tub, large holes drill in bottom, set in soil with drain rock under it and in it, no erosion or splashing mud when turned on.

Had a little extra metal from my roofing, so tacked down some 50# felt and cobbled on a roof, used some gable flashing for the high part.

Same deal, just side view standing on top of transformer

Serving counter with new Blackstone grille. Everyone been making a fuss over those, figured I'd try it. Stainless and black appliance on left it an ice maker, ran full time, that was very nice too.

Monday night, put together a bunch of stew meat, a bag of mixed vegetables, small potatoes diced up, added some Mc Cormicks stew seasoning packet, turn on low about 9PM, buy 6AM, set to warm, had the nicest, thickest heartiest stew.

Lasted myself and buddy for a few days.

7. Top Of Page | #116

User Info Menu

OK, I got in at 10:30 on Thursday; what a fun time with family and super productive work on the well.

It was all trimmed out: pressure tank, in good bladder, soft start controller, all Grundfos stuff, and pitless adapter.

I added a service disconnect with the breaker on a 6X6 post, painted it all forest service brown, added an old wash tub for a splash guard, drilled large holes in the bottom, filled it with drain rock, and frost-free hydrant.

I painted my front and back gates to look like Forest Service, i.e., Rustoleum Spring Green, and then painted post-USFS brown.

I bought a new 17" Blackstone griddle for the shelter, had my trusty icemaker going, and my family headed out Monday; I stayed till Thursday with lots of work.

Now, all closed up for winter, all buried in about 3 feet of snow in 4 months.

Below is the back 20-acre gate.

Beat, doing a load of laundry, then headed to bed.
    Wow!

The place is looking really good

I remember when you first started with this project.

Congratulations!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech, Corkey thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #117

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Wow!

The place is looking really good

I remember when you first started with this project.

Congratulations!!

Been a labor of love. Started out with just looking for some land, timbered, close to USFS, found it, bought 20 acres in 2005 is when it closed. Drilled well following year, sat capped till 2014.

Built cabin or started it in summer of 2007, finished it for the most part by 2010 with just finish work. Bought 20 acres more just east of me, connected, so now its 40+ acres. Almost lost it all to a large wildfire in 2015.

Had DNR under some grant money and DNR assist for small timber owners always run a plan where they will pay for 50% of the thinning. This is done with a forest mulcher. Hauled nothing out, just ground it all up. State picked up 75% of that bill, was still about $13,000 out of my pocket, but good value. Great results too.

Went over with pals ahead of the fire, smoke so thick, visibility was 1/4 mile or less, nothing flying at all, just angry aggressive yellow jackets. Was so lifeless. We cut down all timber close to cabin, cleared and piled into corner, paid a local kid to burn pile in winter, he did it, nothing left.

That spring I brought in 10K worth of gravel, complete drive, campsites, huge swath around cabin, trimmed all trees in a 60 foot radius of all lower branches to the 10 foot mark, bought a nice DR tow behind chipper and ground up all small trees close in.

Power buried in for about 2/3 miles, $35K and trim out the well, $9200. Original well was $8000 for just a hole in the ground.

Been a labor of love, I have loads of pals who volunteer free labor, of course, I always feed them well. It is a super fun place for us adults to play at. Always cool stuff to do. Next spring I am dragging my Kubota up there and doing dirt work. Nice line on inside of fence to run looking for breaks to repair, moves some gravel, punch in one more campsite.

Some have called it Money well waster" also.

After that year and the thinning in 2019, I was in good shape. Some beetle killed trees led to my log shelter. I put in a 20 container also, roofed it and painted it so it doesn't look ugly.

container_painted_frontLH.jpg

container_painted_front.jpg

Then lots of decorating the landscape to look like a park, campsite, collecting USFS and USNP items, looking for logging gear, trapper stuff, pioneer stuff, gold mining, western and cowboy stuff, mantle is full of trinkets.

Then with retirement looming closer, needed to get the big ticket items done now, ie power and fully trim out the well.

I have done all the building, construction, wiring, everything. Even made my own woodstove too.

woodstove15.jpg

woodstove20.jpg

I am a decent metal fab guy too.
    Lincoln MP210 MIG, Prime Weld TIG 210, Hyperthem plasma cutter (60A/beast blows through 1" steel) the typical grinders, chop saws etc.

Oh, made a 7X18 flatbed for a pal of mine too. Took 5 weekend
    Primeweld 225X with foot swtich
    20211113_120909_resized.jpg

Lincoln 210MP with spool gun acc. Can do stick and DC TIG also
    lincolnmp210frontlh.jpg

Hypertherm 1000G3

plasma2.jpg
    If you have ever used a plasma cutter you will throw rocks at oxy acetylene. I do have the torch set and plan on keeping them too.

What is plasma, we were taught in school, matter has 3 states, solid liquid or gas.
    They were wrong. Take ice, add head, converts solid to liquid, now add more head, turns liquid into gas. Now super heat it, turn it into plasma. So matter have 4 states.

I have the power of the sun at my fingertips. 40,000 degrees. No wonder the torch tip has a safety.

10. Top Of Page | #118

User Info Menu

Been a labor of love. Started out with just looking for some land, timbered, close to USFS, found it, bought 20 acres in 2005 is when it closed. Drilled well following year, sat capped till 2014.

Built cabin or started it in summer of 2007, finished it for the most part by 2010 with just finish work. Bought 20 acres more just east of me, connected, so now its 40+ acres. Almost lost it all to a large wildfire in 2015.

Had DNR under some grant money and DNR assist for small timber owners always run a plan where they will pay for 50% of the thinning. This is done with a forest mulcher. Hauled nothing out, just ground it all up. State picked up 75% of that bill, was still about $13,000 out of my pocket, but good value. Great results too.

Went over with pals ahead of the fire, smoke so thick, visibility was 1/4 mile or less, nothing flying at all, just angry aggressive yellow jackets. Was so lifeless. We cut down all timber close to cabin, cleared and piled into corner, paid a local kid to burn pile in winter, he did it, nothing left.

That spring I brought in 10K worth of gravel, complete drive, campsites, huge swath around cabin, trimmed all trees in a 60 foot radius of all lower branches to the 10 foot mark, bought a nice DR tow behind chipper and ground up all small trees close in.

Power buried in for about 2/3 miles, $35K and trim out the well, $9200. Original well was $8000 for just a hole in the ground.

Been a labor of love, I have loads of pals who volunteer free labor, of course, I always feed them well. It is a super fun place for us adults to play at. Always cool stuff to do. Next spring I am dragging my Kubota up there and doing dirt work. Nice line on inside of fence to run looking for breaks to repair, moves some gravel, punch in one more campsite.

Some have called it Money well waster" also.

After that year and the thinning in 2019, I was in good shape. Some beetle killed trees led to my log shelter. I put in a 20 container also, roofed it and painted it so it doesn't look ugly.

container_painted_frontLH.jpg

container_painted_front.jpg

Then lots of decorating the landscape to look like a park, campsite, collecting USFS and USNP items, looking for logging gear, trapper stuff, pioneer stuff, gold mining, western and cowboy stuff, mantle is full of trinkets.

Then with retirement looming closer, needed to get the big ticket items done now, ie power and fully trim out the well.

I have done all the building, construction, wiring, everything. Even made my own woodstove too.

woodstove15.jpg

woodstove20.jpg

I am a decent metal fab guy too.
    Lincoln MP210 MIG, Prime Weld TIG 210, Hyperthem plasma cutter (60A/beast blows through 1" steel) the typical grinders, chop saws etc.

Oh, made a 7X18 flatbed for a pal of mine too. Took 5 weekend
    Primeweld 225X with foot swtich
    20211113_120909_resized.jpg

Lincoln 210MP with spool gun acc. Can do stick and DC TIG also
    lincolnmp210frontlh.jpg

Hypertherm 1000G3

plasma2.jpg
    If you have ever used a plasma cutter you will throw rocks at oxy acetylene. I do have the torch set and plan on keeping them too.

What is plasma, we were taught in school, matter has 3 states, solid liquid or gas.
    They were wrong. Take ice, add head, converts solid to liquid, now add more head, turns liquid into gas. Now super heat it, turn it into plasma. So matter have 4 states.

I have the power of the sun at my fingertips. 40,000 degrees. No wonder the torch tip has a safety.
    Wow, impressive!!

Good looking welds on that stove.

The whole place is impressive.

That’s something to be proud of.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

11. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112