Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: ARP 625 Head Studs Finally Installed

1. Top Of Page | #1

ARP 625 Head Studs Finally Installed

Well, fam, after the long wait for the studs, I finally got around to putting them in.

I meant to post this sooner, as I have been sitting on the studs for about two weeks and got this installation done about five days ago.

All in all, it was a straight forward install, and I used Glacier DDiesel'sinstructions I found online, which were very helpful, especially with torque specs.

A couple of things I will note upon talking with ARP, though.

They said they don't recommend the one-by-one method, which, honestly, I don't have the extra money to replace a perfect head gasket, deck the head, etc.

I got their reasoning behind it and did not HOT TORQUE 625s, period, as ARP told me they had had calls from customers snapping them due to doubling the torque load on the fastener by using that method.

Next, they advised me that I shouldn't have done 15 ft-lb increments upon installation and to do three separate increments starting at 100 up to 150 for the pre-stretch of the fasteners, as their instructions said.

Anyway, my method seemed to work perfectly fine; just giving you all insight into what ARP said.

I didn't exceed 150 ft-lbs in the end, even though I considered taking it to 160, but I didn't see the need.

After all that, and especially the phone call with ARP, I was nervous starting my truck, wondering if I possibly nicked my headgasket upon installation or if it was compromised.

I fired her up, checked for leaks, and watched the coolant for bubbling or hardening of the upper radiator hose, and all was well.

I finally got to play with DRD higher hp tunes, and wow, does this truck move that S464 will start to scream at 30 plus psi.

It's nice knowing they are in there for the piece of mind and my build engine/performance-wise is complete.

By the way, I highly recommend a topside creeper for this installation.

Your arms will get a workout, also.

I will also add that I got to use the go no, go feeler gauges recommended to me by another member on here, and without a doubt, they are the way to go.

The only ones that were off a tad were number 1 and, well, I forgot the other, but it was minor.

If anyone is looking to do this and has any questions, let me know thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: ARP 625 Head Studs Finally Installed

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Well, fam, after the long wait for the studs, I finally got around to putting them in.

I meant to post this sooner, as I have been sitting on the studs for about two weeks and got this installation done about five days ago.

All in all, it was a straight forward install, and I used Glacier DDiesel'sinstructions I found online, which were very helpful, especially with torque specs.

A couple of things I will note upon talking with ARP, though.

They said they don't recommend the one-by-one method, which, honestly, I don't have the extra money to replace a perfect head gasket, deck the head, etc.

I got their reasoning behind it and did not HOT TORQUE 625s, period, as ARP told me they had had calls from customers snapping them due to doubling the torque load on the fastener by using that method.

Next, they advised me that I shouldn't have done 15 ft-lb increments upon installation and to do three separate increments starting at 100 up to 150 for the pre-stretch of the fasteners, as their instructions said.

Anyway, my method seemed to work perfectly fine; just giving you all insight into what ARP said.

I didn't exceed 150 ft-lbs in the end, even though I considered taking it to 160, but I didn't see the need.

After all that, and especially the phone call with ARP, I was nervous starting my truck, wondering if I possibly nicked my headgasket upon installation or if it was compromised.

I fired her up, checked for leaks, and watched the coolant for bubbling or hardening of the upper radiator hose, and all was well.

I finally got to play with DRD higher hp tunes, and wow, does this truck move that S464 will start to scream at 30 plus psi.

It's nice knowing they are in there for the piece of mind and my build engine/performance-wise is complete.

By the way, I highly recommend a topside creeper for this installation.

Your arms will get a workout, also.

I will also add that I got to use the go no, go feeler gauges recommended to me by another member on here, and without a doubt, they are the way to go.

The only ones that were off a tad were number 1 and, well, I forgot the other, but it was minor.

If anyone is looking to do this and has any questions, let me know thanks.
    Thanks for the update!

Job well-done sir

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, rsl0311usmc, AK Bob liked this post