Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  107
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Level Kit With No New Track Bar?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Front Level Kit With No New Track Bar?

I bought a BDS 2-inch kit since I have had good performance out of their parts.

The price was right, but I did not upgrade the front track bar.

I'm getting ready to have my RAM Service guy have it installed.

For a basic front-level kit with upgraded Bilsteins, has anyone in the 5th gen models done this type of level without any handling issues.. and NOT upgraded the Track Bar?

Thank you for your input, O1

2. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

FYI, the 4th and 5th Gen are identical down there, so all the other posts apply.

Ensure your front shock mounts at the axle are welded on from the factory.

There are improvements to be made, and it's generally considered a good idea but not necessary until after 60k miles, which is the number.

That's when the factory bushings tend to wear.

The factory bar is a bit flexible, but you may not notice it at that performance level.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

4. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Front Level Kit With No New Track Bar?

FYI, Thuren did say the Trackbar was not necessary going with BDS pucks.

However, now changing to their coils, he did recommend the TBar for adjustability, so I will add that to the kit with new shocks to fit their coils.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

The other issue to look for with a stock track bar and level is axle centering.

I'm unfamiliar with the BDS level, but if you raise the truck and don't drop or lengthen the track bar, the front axle will be pulled off to the side a bit.

Thuren and Carli have a good approach with their adjustable track bars.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Also, FYI, the front suspension on these trucks is straightforward to work on.

I did mine in my driveway and was done before lunch.

If you feel so inclined, it's on the more accessible side of DIY jobs.

I did Thuren springs, shocks, track bar, sway bar, and boogie bumps.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thks BP.

BDS KIT is straightforward, and I upgraded the shocks to Bilstein adjustable on the front.

BDS has an adjustable track bar for it, but I was unsure if this minimal lift would require track bar adjustability.

I am going with my RAM service guy because he cares for me and will warranty the work and alignment.

I guess the real question is, does it make sense to avoid issues for alignment buck up and get the BDS or Thuren adjustable track bar.

I am sure he can align or adjust the front axle at the dealership, but if he needs more adjustability to get it right, this may be where the new track bar must come into play.

I asked if anyone did this without and had no issues.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You're better off spending money on a complete coil replacement instead of those spacers.

If you say Thuren coils, you gain 2" of travel and no coil bind.

If you stick with a spacer style, you must drop the bump stop appropriately.

If you want a general recommendation, put a track bar on it.

You are not going to regret it.

It only helps stiffen things up and keep the alignment in check.

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

16. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Our last 2 RAM 4x4s were lifted and used for hunting, too; this one will be primarily a tow truck, and the RZR used for hunting will be used very little for serious offroading like in the past.

The last Bull Elk was dropped in a northern AZ Canyon a 1/4 mile down, and we had to 4 wheel in, and that is as close as we could get; it took 8 hours of quartering and packing out in a blizzard.

I went and bought a four-seat RZR.

That was the last time we humped an ELK out in pieces.

The level kit is as far as I want to go; however, the trucks looked badass lifted.

This one is a tow tool, and the BDS kit is sitting in the garage, so adding the adjustable track bar can be done now as an added measure before install.

So I will take your advice and buy one to be safe.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Sounds good.

I think adding it is the right call.

You'll notice very few of the good quality leveling kits even come without one.

You may be okay with that setup; many people have been.

All I'm trying to say is if when it's all done, you feel like it's riding worse than it started, look into coil replacements.

Many people feel there's no middle ground between the bottom-end leveling kits and the high-end all-components 3k+ systems.

You'll have a quality shock to mitigate the effects; these trucks don't have to feel like they drive like "a big lifted truck" like we've been used to for so many years.

We spend a small fortune on the.

A slight improvement may make a difference if you are unhappy with the ride.

Also, I suggest thuren as they are leveled heights, not lifted.

A simple swap out down the road, and you're on your way.

Anyway, good luck to you, and don't forget the pictures when it's done

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast