Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  30

Thread: Coolant Leak?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Coolant Leak?

I have a 2016 RAM 3500 6.7L; I need help identifying this part.

Noticed today that the part where the heater return line goes into (solid metal) 1 in from the radiator direction and 2 out towards the firewall is leaking.

If I remember correctly, there is an O ring in the top fitting that can leak.

This is where my leak is coming from; where can I get an O ring if I'm right, or how do I fix this?

Refer to pics.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Coolant Leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Chains View Post
    I have a 2016 RAM 3500 6.7L; I need help identifying this part.

Noticed today that the part where the heater return line goes into (solid metal) 1 in from the radiator direction and 2 out towards the firewall is leaking.

If I remember correctly, there is an O ring in the top fitting that can leak.

This is where my leak is coming from; where can I get an O ring if I'm right, or how do I fix this?

Refer to pics.

Most likely the coolant riser “O” ring. The green OEM “O” ring is the best solution, see P/N below.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #3

If you have a Cummins dealer close by or for me it’s a “RUSH truck center” who happen to be a Cummins dealer and repair shop I went in to them and bought the o ring direct. The Cummins part number was 5266152. Personally I just felt more comfortable being able to see the right o ring when buying it. Figured I would give you a second option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, crader11c, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, crader11c, watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

thanks just ordered 2 of them. I have a 3k mile drive coming up and didn't need this right now.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chains View Post
    thanks just ordered 2 of them. I have a 3k mile drive coming up and didn't need this right now.
    You should be okay with just the correct "O" ring, but if you don't want to ever worry about it leaking again in the future you may want to consider looking into one of these like I did.

https://www.glacierdieselpower.com/c...r-1315-sp-adpt

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks Corkey, crader11c, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, crader11c, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    You should be okay with just the correct "O" ring, but if you don't want to ever worry about it leaking again in the future you may want to consider looking into one of these like I did.

https://www.glacierdieselpower.com/c...r-1315-sp-adpt
    I actually have the Glacier kit. It’s been great, but the o-ring still failed over time. Luckily where I work, the shop carries a wide range of o-rings. Found the right size and now have a handful for any future issues. But the Glacier kit really does help stabilize that joint.

10. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crader11c View Post
    I actually have the Glacier kit. It’s been great, but the o-ring still failed over time. Luckily where I work, the shop carries a wide range of o-rings. Found the right size and now have a handful for any future issues. But the Glacier kit really does help stabilize that joint.

Installed mine three years ago no leaks, make sure you tighten the set screws down evenly so the adaptor stays concentric with the riser pipe. Agree the “O” ring may eventually fail due to age, but the green Vitron ring will last a long time.

12. Thanks crader11c thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, crader11c, Corkey liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Installed mine three years ago no leaks, make sure you tighten the set screws down evenly so the adaptor stays concentric with the riser pipe. Agree the “O” ring may eventually fail due to age, but the green Vitron ring will last a long time.
    I think maybe mine was an older version, because it came with a black oring. But we have high quality orings at work that I replaced it with recently. The kit has been installed for many years with no issues previous though. So to have an item like a rubber ring fail after countless heat cycles, I feel like it was a solid purchase.

14. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post