Thanks Thanks:  51
Likes Likes:  56
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C Pressure Question

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: A/C Pressure Question

Yes sir.

The plan is to replace the expansion valve, compressor, and condenser.

I don't know if the compressor is bad, so I assume it's safer to do it while I unhook everything.

I'll back flush the lines and the EVAP to attempt to remove oil and any compressor particles (if the compressor failed).

The compressor will come filled with oil.

Do I need to dump the oil and measure, then add it back to the compressor?

Do I need to add additional oil since I am replacing the condenser?

As you all can see from the thread, I am going at this blind as a bat.

2018 Ram 3500 Dually, Stock 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE, RevMax ZeroFlex Billet HD/Towing Valve Body, RevMax Thermostatic Bypass, Mag Hytec Deep Transmission pan, Stock suspension, stock Alcoa wheels/tires

2. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goreje View Post
    Yes sir.

The plan is to replace the expansion valve, compressor, and condenser.

I don't know if the compressor is bad, so I assume it's safer to do it while I unhook everything.

I'll back flush the lines and the EVAP to attempt to remove oil and any compressor particles (if the compressor failed).

The compressor will come filled with oil.

Do I need to dump the oil and measure, then add it back to the compressor?

Do I need to add additional oil since I am replacing the condenser?

As you all can see from the thread, I am going at this blind as a bat.
    See attached information on refrigerant oil capacity.

Looks like you need to end up with 6 oz in the system.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks goreje, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes goreje, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13
    DEFUND EPA I WILL STAND sootmaster's Avatar

User Info Menu

Hello,
    If I was you I wouldn't change expansion valve or compressor.
    If truly just rock chip hole this just expelled the freon.
    Changing and flushing just reduced your bank account.
    If low milage truck not 100k +
    Take condenser lines off and condenser see what oil comes out, if black and particles glitter like then condemned the compressor.
    But when I do ac service no matter who has compressor I drain in chemical graduated beaker or cup for amount of oil.
    I would suggest condenser and add 2oz oil and refill.

But what ever path Total oil charge amount in DRY flushed system should be on you decal tag in the engine compartment this show oil charge for your given ac system.
    Also work shop manual under the AC specifications.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

07.5 4x4 Yukon Detroit locker Rear AAM Elect-Front Locker, DOR Front Arm, ATS/Destroke Allison 1000 Conversion W/All 3-Billet Shafts, My Stage-5+ Allison, ATS Five Star TQ Converter, ATS CoPilot, Turbo America Custom VGT, Steed Speed Manifold, (UpGrading Compound Pusher turbo s480 soon) Motorsports Diesel 100% over custom Injectors, MotorSports Diesel 10.6 CP3, AirDog II 165-5G, Rail Pressure Relief 1-Stage, Update Common Rail, Mishimoto Intercooler, ARP 425 Studs, Hamilton Springs,Ret,PR

6. Thanks goreje, AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes goreje, AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sootmaster View Post
    Hello,
    If I was you I wouldn't change expansion valve or compressor.
    If truly just rock chip hole this just expelled the freon.
    Changing and flushing just reduced your bank account.
    If low milage truck not 100k +
    Take condenser lines off and condenser see what oil comes out, if black and particles glitter like then condemned the compressor.
    But when I do ac service no matter who has compressor I drain in chemical graduated beaker or cup for amount of oil.
    I would suggest condenser and add 2oz oil and refill.

But what ever path Total oil charge amount in DRY flushed system should be on you decal tag in the engine compartment this show oil charge for your given ac system.
    Also work shop manual under the AC specifications.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk
    Well, I would prefer to just do the condenser.
    Issue I have is, I don’t know how much oil is still in the system.
    I bought a manifold set from Harbor Freight that was missing the seal on one end of the yellow line and that’s where I lost some r134a and at least 1/2 - 3/4 cup (4-6oz) of what I assume to have been oil mixed with green dye. When I realize where it was leaking it was oozing out the yellow line connection on the manifold and basically filled the yellow line with the stuff. I let it drain into my oil change pan.
    Then there’s the fact that I don’t want to tear into the system twice (if I don’t have to) if compressor is bad and expansion valve clogged or inoperable (144,000 miles on the odometer).
    If I was more experienced with A/C system, or knew how to verify compressor was good, I’d just flush everything, replace condenser, drain oil from current compressor and add the stated amount on the tag under hood and call it good after charging to 1.19Lbs of r134a.
    Hard decision, patch what I know is bad and hope for the best or spend the money and replace what “might” be bad and move on.
    Plan is to add another 150,000 to 200,000 miles before getting another truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 3500 Dually, Stock 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE, RevMax ZeroFlex Billet HD/Towing Valve Body, RevMax Thermostatic Bypass, Mag Hytec Deep Transmission pan, Stock suspension, stock Alcoa wheels/tires

8. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12