Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: ABS HCU Issue?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

ABS HCU Issue?

OK, I'm a little stumped with an issue im having.

2018 Ram 2500, im getting the ABS TCS lights; they come and go I did have any issues for a few weeks now when they came on while on the freeway doing 80mph truck decided it wanted to stop in the middle of the freeway all by itself ( brakes came on ) i shifted into neutral then back to drive brakes released and that was it.

i scanned it no codes nothing. got it home....parked it cause im not trying to die LOL this morning went or a drive and when i hit the pedal the truck literally swings to the left like i slammed the driver brake on when i let off and apply again same thing then all of a sudden its fine again. thinking sticky caliper on driver side but doesnt act like it casue it would stay stuck i would think.

so scanned again while truck running and says front right ABS wheel sensor is bad. would right side ABS front sensor being bad cause right side caliper to hang up

very odd as for the HCU i have zero codes and all checks out well with it? before i go replacing calipers and rotors because they are blue now from the heat, would this be an issue with the HCU or ABS module?

The previous owner said every two years, like clockwork, he had to have the HCU replaced, but it had codes i do not have codes now.

Any suggestions as I can drive the truck like this or is it going to kill me or someone if something fails.

i know RAM needs to recall this like they're doing on the 19-22 trucks which blows my mind.

2018 2500 crew cab longbed 6.7,68RFE,3.42, 35"s,4" exhaust,smeding intake horn. Raceme ultra tuned

2. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: ABS HCU Issue?

Ok, I figured it out, and it's hard to believe no one replied, LOL, but it was a wheel speed sensor.

It's pretty scary that a simple wheel speed sensor freaks these trucks out and causes them to do so erratic braking.

2018 2500 crew cab longbed 6.7,68RFE,3.42, 35"s,4" exhaust,smeding intake horn. Raceme ultra tuned

4. Thanks Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update; I'm glad you figured it out.

Now we know what a bad wheel speed sensor can do.

My takeaway from your experience is that we should pull the power to the anti-lock brake module until the wheel speed sensor is replaced.

Last edited by AK Bob; 07-01-2024 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

100%.

Instead of a wheel speed sensor dying, it should deactivate ABS until fixed, not have a failure of the brakes.

8. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post